350.org is building a global grassroots movement to solve the climate crisis. Our online campaigns, grassroots organizing, and mass public actions are led from the bottom up by thousands of volunteer organizers in over 188 countries. 350.org works hard to organize in a new way—everywhere at once, using online tools to facilitate strategic offline action. We want to be a laboratory for the best ways to strengthen the climate movement and catalyze transformation around the world. The values that guide and drive our work are listed here.
About the 350 Japan Organizer Position
350 Japan Organizer strategically designs, plans, builds and expands grassroots climate movement in Japan. They recruit individuals and groups to the movement as well as discover, nurture and support leaders. They train individuals, groups and leaders of all levels to be effective climate activists who successfully participate in the expansion of the movement with the consideration of the particular sets of cultural implications to do so.
- Building and expanding climate movement in Japan.
- Public engagement with the general public (= potential next activists) in media, schools and events.
- Maintenance and expansion of 350 crew community
- Mentorship and support to activist leaders.
- Creating and executing events and training.
- Leading long or short-term organizing for 350 Japan campaigns (currently finance campaign targeting banks), global moments, or chosen key moments or projects.
- Contributing to the strategic planning of 350 Japan and being in charge of the creation and communication of the organizing sector.
- Engage, contribute and learn from outside of the Japan team, in particular the Asia team and the organizers’ community.
- Strong passion for stopping climate change
- Strong commitment/desire to build a joyful movement
- Good and kind team player
- Strong work ethic with the ability to work remotely, effectively and sustainably without day-to-day overseeing
- Ability to strategically design different sectors of organizing (recruitment, engagement, training and support) with measurable goal settings for individual projects, communities and also for the whole movement to some extent.
- Ability to design and lead online and offline meetings, events and training with the awareness of JEDI (Justice, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion) for the specific group of people in the room.
- Willingness to learn and grow
- Excellent accountability
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellence in problem-solving
- Native level Japanese
- Business level English
- At least one year of experience as an organizer for the climate movement (professionally or as a volunteer) or more than three years of experience as an organizer for the social justice movement in Japan, or the equivalent, all within the past three years.
Desired (but not required) Qualifications
- Native level English
- Experience as a 350 crew member, especially in a leadership position or as an active participant in a local group.
We are looking for someone who is comfortable working remotely, both independently & on teams, and who is highly responsive and able to lead initiatives while also taking direction from others.
Location: Remote within Japan
Position Type: FULL TIME
350.org is an equal opportunity employer. 350.org strives to be an inclusive and collaborative group of people who bring a variety of approaches to the work we do. We’re committed to the principles of justice, and we try to build a safe workplace where everyone is treated fairly and enjoys working together. We value new perspectives, ideas of all sorts, and different ways of working. Diverse perspectives and experiences improve the way 350.org carries out our work – including what we decide to work on and how creatively/effectively we do that. We do our best to make staff positions accessible to all potential team members, regardless of race, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, assigned gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion or creed, veteran status, marital or parental status, and genetic information. We also strive to include team members in communities most impacted by climate change or impacted by other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustice.
If you have suggestions of improvements we welcome you to share your input with us at email@example.com with the subject line ‘Hiring Feedback’..