350.org is building a global grassroots movement to solve the climate crisis. Our online campaigns, grassroots organizing, and mass public actions are led from the bottom up by thousands of volunteer organizers in over 188 countries. 350.org works hard to organize in a new way—everywhere at once, using online tools to facilitate strategic offline action. We want to be a laboratory for the best ways to strengthen the climate movement and catalyze transformation around the world. The values that guide and drive our work are listed here.
350.org is an equal opportunity employer. 350.org strives to be an inclusive and collaborative group of people who bring a variety of approaches to the work we do. We’re committed to the principles of justice, and we try to build a safe workplace where everyone is treated fairly and enjoys working together. We value new perspectives, ideas of all sorts, and different ways of working. Diverse perspectives and experiences improve the way 350.org carries out our work – including what we decide to work on and how creatively/effectively we do that. We do our best to make staff positions accessible to all potential team members, regardless of race, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, assigned gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion or creed, veteran status, marital or parental status, and genetic information. We also strive to include team members in communities most impacted by climate change or impacted by other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustice.
About the Senior Accounts Payable Specialist
We are looking for a detail-oriented Senior Accounts Payable Specialist to help us process a high volume of expenses/payments in a timely and accurate manner. This position will be responsible for, but not limited to, the overall accounts payable process, managing vendors, ensuring prompt and correct payment of expenses/reimbursements in multiple currencies, ensuring accuracy of coding and general ledger transactions, performing reconciliations and ensuring proper internal controls. This position must have a strong understanding of US GAAP and finance and accounting concepts, plus great interpersonal and communication skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for daily processing, review, approval and posting of Accounts Payable transactions, ensuring compliance with US GAAP, internal policies and procedures and industry best practices.
- Coordinate/support Accounts Payable recording to the monthly financials, including closing the A/P subledger and reconciling the A/P account on a monthly basis.
- Maintain schedule of open AP items that make up the AP balance in the general ledger each month.
- Provide support for, training to and work closely with the other A/P team member(s) and finance team member(s). Build solid partnership with others on the A/P team and broader finance team to ensure expenses, expense reports and payments are timely and accurate.
- Maintain internal controls and safeguards for expenses and payments to staff and vendors.
- Maintain master vendor file/list and manage vendors, including new vendor setup, vendor changes, etc.
- Manage the timely and accurate payment of vendor invoices, employee reimbursements, credit cards and other expenses through EFTs, PayPal payments, checks, domestic wire payments, international wire transactions/payments and other methods of payment.
- Ensure expenses, payments and transactions in the GL or subledger are in the proper currency with the proper date/accounting period.
- Strong experience and working knowledge of general ledger, accounts payable, domestic and international disbursements and banking required;
- Respond to vendors, banks, other external inquiries and internal inquiries and research to resolve concerns or discrepancies. Handle complex problems or questions regarding expenses and payments.
- Answering questions from internal parties such as employees about the A/P processes, systems, coding, approvals, etc. Being one of the main points of contact in the A/P process and having a great ability to communicate with others.
- Develop and provide training to global staff regarding A/P process and systems, expense coding, etc. Ability to translate financial concepts to individuals at all levels in the organization – including non-finance colleagues.
- Provide support to the annual audit process preparing assigned detailed audit schedules and reconciliations, including notes and backup documentation.
- Provide support to the General Accounting Manager and Director of Finance for any queries related to the Accounts Payable function or expenses.
- Assist other members of A/P and finance team to review expense reports/invoices for proper coding of expense account, department, currency, project, contracts, receipts, payment details, etc. Make corrections and provide approvals as needed. Sync and manually enter/upload information between finance software platforms.
- Compare system reports to balances and verify system entries. Reconcile account transactions with the general ledger. Prepare reports as needed.
- Prepare year-end 1099 reports in compliance with US Federal law
- Assist in creating and maintaining accounting manuals-SOPs, policies and procedures and other working documents as needed. Assist in development of documentation of procedures and recommendations for process improvements.
- Assist in ensuring accounting system integrity and make recommendations to DOF for ongoing improvements in functionality as required.
- Keen analytic, organization and independent problem-solving skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to management.
- Meticulous attention to detail – demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Strong focus on being organized. Routinely monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Customer-oriented, positive attitude. Brings a commitment to a work environment that incorporates cultural values, is mission-driven, professional, direct, naturally collaborative, and collegial.
- Proactive, hands-on thinker who is comfortable working in partnership with senior staff within the organization;
- Excellent written and communication skills, proficiency of English language (spoken and written) is required;
- Participate in Finance and Operations meetings and initiatives
- Participate or support organizational initiatives or events
- Take initiative to learn about climate change
- Minimum Bachelor of Associates Degree in Accounting
- Minimum 4 years of experience in general accounting or accounts payable function with minimum 2 years of experience in managing the accounts payable process from end-to-end
- Experience handling a high volume of invoices and expenses to process and make payment, ensuring timely follow-up and resolution of outstanding items.
- Advanced competency in accounting and business management software, such as Expensify, Sage Intacct or other accounting platforms.
- In-depth knowledge of accounts payable principles, accounting standards, US GAAP, expense coding, journal entries, debits and credits.
- Experience in balance sheet account reconciliation, identifying errors and performing adjustments or write-offs.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Great time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent collaboration and communication abilities.
- Experience with a nonprofit
- Experience in international transactions, global accounting, multiple currencies
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Slack, Zoom
- Proficient in Google suite, including gmail, google calendar, google docs, etc.
Position Type: Full Time
Location: This is a global and remote position. For U.S applicants, this position can be performed from our DC, Brooklyn, or Oakland office, or remotely in the following states: CA, CO, GA, MD, MA, ME, MT, NY, NC, PA, VT, VA, WA, or Washington, DC.
If you have suggestions for us on how to do this better, we really value your input and strongly encourage you to write to us at email@example.com with the subject line ‘Hiring Feedback’.