At 0x Labs, our mission is to create a tokenized world where all value can flow freely. We're a highly technical, globally distributed group of teams working together toward actualizing that mission. In doing so, we're excited and proud to be pushing the envelope across the DeFi and Ethereum stacks.
In joining us, you'll take part in transforming the way that value is exchanged on a global scale. We're passionate about open-source software and decentralized technology's potential to act as an equalizing force in the world, and our technology is deployed by a wide array of projects at the forefront of internet and economic advancement.
Founded in 2017, 0x Labs created and now partakes in the development of 0x protocol: a network comprised of open-source infrastructure, tooling, and cryptocurrency-based incentives that allow for the decentralized exchange of any blockchain-based digital asset. 0x is a secure, publicly owned and governed, and upgradable standard that’s abstracted away from application-layer developers and enables interoperability between blockchain-based applications.
Alongside the core protocol, 0x Labs also builds and maintains a suite of network incentives, business resources, developer/trader tools (e.g., 0x API), and end-user products (e.g., Matcha).
We’re a remote-first company with core contributors in nearly ten countries and over twice as many cities. Our headquarters is in San Francisco, with an office available for anyone on the team to use at any time. We’ll consider your application regardless of where you call home.
You’ll work closely alongside:
- Will Warren, Co-Founder & Co-CEO. Before founding 0x Labs, Will was studying in an engineering PhD program.
- Amir Bandeali, Co-Founder & Co-CEO. Before founding 0x Labs, Amir was a trader with DRW Trading.
- Jacob Evans, Engineering Manager. Before joining 0x Labs as a Blockchain Engineer, Jacob was a senior engineer with Hooroo and RSA/EMC.
- Charles Reese, Engineering Manager. Before joining 0x Labs, Charles was a Principal Engineer with Funding Circle.
- Various other stakeholders across engineering, product, and operations at 0x Labs.
YOUR ROLE AS DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING AT 0X
As the Director of Engineering at 0x Labs, you’ll report to our Co-CEO and manage 5+ teams of the industry’s most talented engineers, tasked with ensuring that 0x remains the most resilient, flexible, and future-proofed decentralized exchange stack.
As Director of Engineering, you’ll help set the strategy, direction, and goals for product and engineering teams at 0x Labs. Our current products include:
- Matcha — our flagship consumer-facing application that sets the standard for UI/UX in crypto. This product is a major strategic priority as we create a simple, clean interface that will onboard millions of new users to decentralized finance.
- 0x API — our powerful developer tool designed to become the “liquidity endpoint for decentralized finance.” The 0x API aggregates token liquidity from all decentralized exchanges and using a sophisticated routing algorithm ensures that our 40+ integrators get access to the best pricing in crypto.
- Request for Quote System — tools and products that enable professional market makers and traders to respond to quotes in the DeFi ecosystem, enabling off-chain liquidity to access crypto markets.
- 0x Protocol — an open-source suite of smart contracts that enable the peer-to-peer exchange of any crypto-based asset, including ERC-20, ERC-721, and ERC-1155 tokens.
- 0x Governance, ZRX Staking, and 0xTracker that inform community members of the health and status of the 0x ecosystem and empower them to shape the direction of the technology.
We are constantly innovating and adapting to the fast pace of crypto, so we may look to build out additional teams over time as opportunities present.
You’ll be responsible for our engineering and infrastructure budget, and help us identify opportunities to allocate resources across the organization as we scale up.
In addition to overseeing the technical direction of our engineering teams, you will be responsible for the leadership, culture, and people management of our engineering organization. You’ll coach engineering managers as they lead their teams, as well as informal mentoring of other engineers across 0x Labs. You’ll help shape and foster the engineering culture for the company, and you’ll help design learning and development programs to continue leveling up our team. You’ll be actively involved in recruiting across our engineering teams.
Scaling a fast-growing, globally-distributed, multi-product crypto startup is difficult — communicating, planning, coordinating, and reacting to the rapid pace of the crypto requires great people and good teamwork. In addition to helping us achieve our Mission — Creating a tokenized world where all value can flow freely — you will also help us establish 0x Labs as a premier place to work and grow in ones professional career. We’re a passionate team that enjoys our work, and we want our employees to feel valued, empowered, respected, and energized to continue transforming the world.
- Manage the Engineering Managers for several product teams.
- Mentor, coach, and grow your team, with a focus on developing future leaders.
- Guide the overall technical direction for 0x products and overlap between the products.
- Define the engineering culture at 0x Labs and what it means to be an engineer on the team.
- Establish engineering-wide processes and systems.
- Set engineering-wide goals and help the team to deliver on those metrics.
- Budget and manage costs for engineering.
- Establish the engineering team structure and identifying opportunities for improvement or new teams that should be created.
- Develop a hiring plan that allows your team to achieve its vision. Prioritize hiring and staffing to attract top engineering talent from a diverse spectrum of backgrounds, helping 0x Labs get even stronger as we grow.
- Ensure your teams have the context, capabilities, rituals and resources to deliver effectively. View your team’s work both from the high level perspective of a senior leader, and, when needed, dive into the details to support high quality decision-making and execution,
- Break down barriers for your team and the organization, in particular those that span teams, functions, or departments. Lead engineering-wide initiatives to drive successful outcomes now and over time.
- Collaborate with product management and design leadership to achieve shared goals
- Measure and improve team engagement and productivity.
- 10+ years engineering experience
- At least 2+ years of people management experience
- Strong product instincts
- Project management experience with a track record of multi-tasking and coordinating efforts across multiple stakeholders
- Desire to influence and foster relationships with different teams within the company
- Experience managing teams in a globally distributed organization
- Experience recruiting for top engineering talent
- Comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized with excellent attention to detail
- Interest in crypto and decentralized finance (DeFi)
- At least 5+ years of engineering leadership experience
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead and grow managers and engineers
- Has experience fostering career development for an engineering organization
- Experience implementing training and development programs.
- Ideally has managed at least 15 engineers overall
- Start-up and/or scaling experience preferred
- Competitive salary and equity with occasional cryptocurrency-based perks
- Comprehensive insurance (medical/dental/vision) — 100% covered for you and your family
- 401k, HSA, and FSA for U.S.-based employees
- Stipend for your ideal remote / WFH set-up: laptop, headphones, and any other work gear you may need
- Flexible hours and a long-standing, supportive remote environment
- Monthly co-working space and mobile phone expense
- 12-week paid parental leave
- Great office conveniently located in Soma/East Cut, SF, available for all team members
- Daily at-home lunch delivery in SF and additional meal reimbursements
- Unlimited vacation: Take time when you need it (and we really mean it)
- Multiple annual in-person team meet-ups around the globe
0x Labs and its associated entities (0x) are dedicated to fostering diversity, inclusion, and belonging in its teams and workforce, and are proud to be equal opportunity employers. 0x does not make employment or hiring decisions on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression or identity, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, national origin, or any other basis that is protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. 0x will also consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a way that is consistent with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws.