Zume is looking for a creative but also technically minded Industrial Designer with a passion for sustainability and a healthier planet to develop innovative molded fiber packaging solutions for a variety of clients. Under general direction, the Industrial Designer will collaborate with sales, clients, engineering, and project managers to create design solutions that meet and exceed customers’ expectations.
The Industrial Designer will prepare and present packaging solution proposals built around Zume’s capabilities and the customer’s requirements to ensure the concept is feasible within budget, time and other relevant constraints. This position requires structural and 3-dimensional spatial awareness capabilities in addition to the incorporation of our Design for Manufacturing guidelines. This individual will identify and resolve packaging problems, then iterate and develop new packaging concepts for sales and project managers to bring to market.
- Quickly iterate physical and digital design solutions and work through details with provided tools to create customer-facing visuals
- Develop high level concepts and/or detailed presentations, mockups, and prototypes to effectively communicate design ideas
- Establish user research to understand functional and aesthetic needs, as well as customer challenges and pain points
- Incorporate customer input within packaging concept development
- Management of time to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously while collaborating with internal and external teams
- Resource management and good organizational skills for effective completion of design projects.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Consult with clients and the sales team to provide recommendations for client requirements
- Develop packaging concepts to support new product launches, line extensions, and existing products
- Create, coordinate, manage and maintain all project specification drawings
- Stay current with software updates, industry standards and technology developments (internal training, continuing education, trade shows, conferences, etc.)
- Comply with all internal design guidelines to ensure quality deliverables
- Exhibit our company values and work to build an inclusive organization
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience in Industrial Design within a packaging design discipline
- Proficient hand sketching skills
- Experience working with the thermoforming of plastics, rigid and/or flexible packaging, is desirable
- Direct experience with molded fiber is preferred
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills
- Comfortable with communicating and interacting effectively at all levels of the organization
- A passion for the creative process with a willingness
- Intermediate level of proficiency with Solidworks CAD and 3D rendering (key-shot)
- Intermediate level of proficiency with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
- Intermediate level of proficiency with Microsoft office applications
- Enthusiastic team player with collaborative spirit
- Prior experience working with food design and or packaging is desirable
- A digital portfolio showcasing design work
- Vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment at Zume, Inc. Our vaccine requirements include booster vaccinations, and future booster vaccinations that become available.
- Travel: Minimal
- Sponsorship: Not available for this role
This job description is not a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Zume provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.