Who We Are
By 2050, there could be more plastic in our oceans than fish! Zume is a Softbank backed company focused on building a smarter and more sustainable food ecosystem. Zume is spearheading the switch from plastic to 100% compostable molded fiber packaging through its patented manufacturing technology and its network of global suppliers. We have launched uniquely designed and patented products that function like plastic and are made from various biomass sources such as bagasse. Our customers span across food service / restaurants, FMCG and healthcare.
Zume's international business is growing rapidly and is based out of Mumbai. The global headquarter is in California, USA. This is a unique opportunity to work with a US venture backed startup in India where you will be working with colleagues who have worked both in the US and in India.
This position requires to travel at various plants and is responsible for supporting the team for developing automation manufacturing equipment for a high-volume packaging facility. The position requires to take an extra mile to meet the deliverables.
What you’ll do
The Controls Engineer in the Automation Engineering team will work on developing automation manufacturing equipment for a high-volume packaging facility. He/She will design the control system architecture with the Industrial Engineers and Process Engineers. He/she will program all equipment controls components such as PLC, HMI, Vision sensors, servo drives, and six axis robots from power-on to debug, fine tuning, and validation.
New machine / automation equipment deployment:
- Lay out new industrial electrical control panels, create electrical, pneumatic and fluid schematics. Manage electrical cabinet builds, field wiring, pneumatic and fluid plumbing while adhering to local regulations.
- Manage suppliers during specification, design, safety and functional buyoff and installation of automated manufacturing equipment and intelligent appliances.
- Introduce automated processes into production, and train and equip Sustaining Team to support automated equipment after deployment into production
- Design system test plans and execute equipment validation tests.
- Develop and debug ladder logic PLC code with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable and reusable.
- Modify existing PLC programs to account for changes in equipment.
- Ensure PLC code will interact with subsystems such as conveyors, robots, machine vision, and 3rd party equipment or appliance.
- Integrate our systems with those of our 2nd party partners
- Comply with the company safety procedures. Live the company culture of integrity and professional competence. Implement control reliable safety systems for safeguarding robots, gantries, conveyors, and other high-volume manufacturing equipment.
- Generate aesthetically simple HMI screens for complex machinery while providing sufficient feedback for troubleshooting.
- Maintain records pertinent to each project in the form of time, sketches, drawings specifications, electrical bill of material, etc.
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and balance product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time limits. Create detail equipment specification and release to Vendor for quoting technical evaluation.
Who you are
BS/MS Electrical Engineering (or equivalent – Majors in Instrumentation and Control / Mechatronics / Automation Engineering )
Minimum of 5 years of experience as a hands-on Controls Engineer working on automation equipment systems / PLCs in high volume manufacturing environment
Special skills/ Hands on experience with the following
- Programming Logic Controllers (PLC) (Siemens)
- Configuring and designing HMI/OIT systems (e.g. Siemens)
- Familiar with various Motion Controllers/Actuators (e.g. IAI, Yasakawa)
- Experience and skill in troubleshooting control system issues
- Experience working with Industrial robots (ABB / Fanuc)