Who We Are
One third of the world’s food goes to waste. Which means all the water, energy, and greenhouse gases used to produce that food is wasted with it. This is a problem with a $990 billion price tag for the food industry and an even bigger one for the planet. But we believe the solution is simple.
What if we could eliminate waste by better balancing the supply and demand of food?
Zume uses predictive analytics and real-time food consumption data to predict customer demand, match it with production, and enable food companies to make smarter decisions across the food supply chain.
By connecting all the pieces of the food supply chain, we enable our partners to make better decisions for their business, their customers, and the planet we all call home.
We’re tackling some of the world’s biggest problems, and we need your help to solve them. If you want to take on something different in your career, we’d love to meet you.
Zume Source Packaging is looking for a strong material science leader who will be specifically focused on formulating and testing the next generation of fiber formulations. The right candidate for this role will have a material science background in the pulp and paper industry and be highly skilled, highly self-motivated and highly passionate about forming the innovation pipeline for our molded fiber products. In this role, you will work closely with our R&D, Revenue and Production teams to develop, plan, and execute Zume’s mission-critical initiatives in material formulation. By joining the early stages of our hyper-growth organization, you’ll play an integral part in building the future of our packaging division.
What You'll Do
Materials and Process Development
- Research, develop and implement material enhancements that reduce costs or increase functionality
- Identify, evaluate and introduce material additives that can be developed into recipes to improve product quality and reduce cost of production
- Identify and implement new material technologies that will increase throughput while eliminating non value-added manufacturing costs
- Keep abreast of new materials or technologies that may have an application
- Ensure all formulations meet the goal of compostability
Operations & Manufacturing Support
- Collaborate with Manufacturing to establish process parameters and blends for various feedstocks with improved throughput and yield
- Provide assistance in certifications to convert non-food grade product to food grade product
- Support the Quality function in establishing robust processes and appropriate standards to test new incoming materials
- Engage technical talent to collaborate and work in partnership to achieve desired results
- Support ongoing efforts to facilitate the transfer of technology globally
Who You Are
- Strong knowledge of pulp and paper manufacturing processes, materials and equipment
- Strong project management skills; excellent organizational skills with ability to focus on details
- Logical and creative thinker; excellent problem-solving skills
- Capable of effective communication, both oral and written
- Results orientation; energetic; demonstrates ownership
- Inquisitive mind; actively keeps abreast of new and developing technologies inside and outside of the industry
- Demonstrated ability to develop creative business solutions; good judgment and decision-making process
- Ability to travel, including extended trips as needed
- 15 years of progressively responsible work experience with at least 5+ years in pulp and paper materials development and/or process disciplines
- 5-7 years of leadership experience (managing teams reporting to you)
- Proven track record in materials and technology development and deployment
- BS in Mechanical, Chemical or Material Engineering or similar field; Master’s / PhD. degree in technical area preferred.
What We Offer
- 100% company-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision for you and 75% for your dependents
- Flexible Time Off
- Daily catered lunch
- The opportunity to work with an incredibly supportive team of thinkers and innovators
Zume provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.