WHO WE ARE
One third of the world’s food goes to waste. Which means all the water, energy, and greenhouse gases used to produce that food is wasted with it. This is a problem with a $990 billion price tag for the food industry and an even bigger one for the planet. But we believe the solution is simple.
What if we could eliminate waste by better balancing the supply and demand of food?
Zume uses predictive analytics and real-time food consumption data to predict customer demand, match it with production, and enable food companies to make smarter decisions across the food supply chain.
By connecting all the pieces of the food supply chain, we enable our partners to make better decisions for their business, their customers, and the planet we all call home.
We’re tackling some of the world’s biggest problems, and we need your help to solve them. If you want to take on something different in your career, we’d love to meet you.
As the Director, Solution Excellence, you will be responsible for architecting the hardware roadmap for the Zume Forward business. You will provide subject matter expertise on, but not limited to, kitchen appliance selection and testing, mobile kitchen layout and equipment design, root-cause analysis and uptime/reliability improvement. We are looking for someone who can translate customer requests and feedback from many teams (customer success/sales, engineering, maintenance, and operations teams) into a cohesive hardware strategy, to prioritize, and to deliver ongoing expansion of our hardware offerings for restaurant partners.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Lead generation of customer requirements and industrial engineering specifications for small- and large-scale hardware build-outs of mobile kitchens and other food service solutions for our Zume Forward partners.
- Provide thought leadership in hardware strategy for appliances and food service equipment. Manage a team of engineers responsible for translating these concepts into practices, identifying process improvement opportunities and quantifying results.
- Design in customer quality and food safety practices into kitchen and appliance deployments, in accordance with local and national code requirements.
- Drive use of proactive and innovative tools to emphasize best engineering and validation practices during design phases with responsibility for the functional performance of the vehicle and its reliability. Develop hardware tools and models for assessing outcomes of strategic initiatives (e.g., throughput, staffing, impact on ROI/customer growth).
- Partner with Hardware and Product Engineering to design work flow chart, man-hours, material and activities needed to complete projects. Oversee the development of project definitions, specifications and guidelines. Establish scope and work priority.
- Identify industry trends and synthesize information from multiple touch points – partnering with Finance, Culinary, Sales, and Operations to create operational recommendations. Participate in product reviews to ensure that a competitive and innovative product is released for production.
- Create a culture of continuous improvement through kaizen. Drive stepwise improvements in safety, quality, cost and delivery in existing hardware solutions and build quality into new operations and products. Ensure all Zume Forward teams are implementing the appropriate lean methodologies, e.g. VSM, standard work, pull systems, cellular manufacturing, etc. to maximize productivity and throughput while minimizing lead time and WIP.
WHO YOU ARE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering; advanced degree (MBA, Master’s) preferred or equivalent working experience.
- 10+ years’ experience in manufacturing or design required, preferably in automotive, heavy industrial, or food service industries;
- AutoCAD or similar drafting software required.
- Prior experience with leading medium to large cross-functional engineering projects.
- Familiarity with OSHA, FMSA, FDA SQF and HAACP regulations and policies a plus.
- Six Sigma/Lean methodology certification highly recommended.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication abilities including skills in explaining technical topics to novices and collaborating with subject matter experts, global stakeholders, and managers.
- Strong technical communication skills and experience building extensive training/documentation programs for front-line operators and support staff
- Demonstrated change management leadership capabilities to drive significant process and behavioral change throughout an organization.
- Ability to travel to support our growing business - up to 25% at times, to support market launches and customer implementations.
Zume provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.