Who We Are
One third of the world’s food goes to waste. Which means all the water, energy, and greenhouse gases used to produce that food is wasted with it. This is a problem with a $990 billion price tag for the food industry and an even bigger one for the planet. But we believe the solution is simple.
What if we could eliminate waste by better balancing the supply and demand of food?
Zume uses predictive analytics and real-time food consumption data to predict customer demand, match it with production, and enable food companies to make smarter decisions across the food supply chain.
By connecting all the pieces of the food supply chain, we enable our partners to make better decisions for their business, their customers, and the planet we all call home.
We’re tackling some of the world’s biggest problems, and we need your help to solve them. If you want to take on something different in your career, we’d love to meet you.
Zume needs an experienced engineering technician to help build, improve, and scale our products. You will provide support to engineers and culinary experts, and may work in the fields of robotics, mechanical, electrical, computer engineering, automated kitchen and mobile food preparation truck. You will own the delivery of major hardware features that enable a complex logistics machine to run smoothly and flawlessly, to the delight of Zume’s customers.
More specifically, our engineering technician inspects and tests equipment, analyzes plans for construction and design, writes up daily lab reports, and carries out any other necessary tasks delegated by the supervising engineer. The role requires good ability to work and communicate well as a team, and strong analytical, trouble-shooting and problem-solving skills. *Special Note: the position is currently based out of our Mountain View Headquarters however, the team is currently having to travel frequently to our South San Francisco facility to complete physical work on the hardware for the mobile kitchen trucks - there's a chance that this position will eventually be based out of that South San Francisco facility.
What You'll Do
- Participate in the food preparation, automated production process
- Build prototypes of product and equipment with cross-functional engineering team
- Operate, test, calibrate, and maintain custom design automation equipment
- Troubleshoot products and equipment issues during early NPI stage and production ramp
- Assist in product design, development and production
- Prepare and conduct engineering test and experiments
- Estimate prototype costs and specify materials to be used. Run the necessary calculations regarding the dimensions and component specifications for each project so that material requirements are accurately estimated to reduce waste
- Manage spare part inventory and procurement
- Design, develop, test and manufacture electronic and computer-controlled mechanical systems
- Develop methods used in the prevention, control or remediation of environmental hazards
- Communicate with project managers and clients to detail the requirements of the project, as well as plan and prepare for the necessary steps to complete the project.
- Perform regular quality control checks to ensure that each component of the project adheres to the high standards of the company
- Calibration and verification of quality testing instruments and thermometers according to reference standards
- Clearly document and communicate quality control findings to appropriate parties. Provide suggestions/strategies to help maintain consistent and quality products
- Work with kitchen crew to monitor ingredient storage and proper rotation of materials in compliance with FEFO
- Take part in maintaining food safety and quality programs, as well as training team members
- Verify routinely that production processes are functioning as intended
- High School Diploma or Associate’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree (Technical or Engineering Degrees strongly preferred)
- 5+ years of experience in an engineering or manufacturing environment
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and related software
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills
- Experience designing and building prototypes of planned product or equipment
- Experience maintaining records and files of all completed engineering work
- Experience inspecting product design for problems or errors
- Experience testing products and maintaining equipment and products to ensure proper function
- Experience ensuring that all safety procedures are observed during laboratory work
- Experience with robotic automation equipment or food manufacturing facility
What We Offer
- 100% company-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision for you and 75% for your dependents
- Flexible Time Off
- Daily catered lunch
- Free and discounted pizza!
- The opportunity to work with an incredibly supportive team of thinkers and innovators
- Dog friendly office
Zume provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.