Who We Are
Zume is on a quest to be the most powerful source of health and well-being on the planet. To achieve our objective, we must facilitate the provision of wholesome, affordable food on a global scale and in a sustainable manner. We are meeting this challenge by providing an end-to-end, scalable platform that reduces the time and distance between clean food sources and dense population centers, using cutting-edge automation and transportation logistics. By developing better tools and processes, we can feed people healthier, sustainably-grown food, delivered fresh and free from chemical stabilization.
The Plant Process Engineer will be responsible for developing new industrial processes and designing new process and equipment or modifying existing ones. The processes that they come up with are used to create a product. You are required to be a problem solver, have analytical and exceptional communication skills to smoothly deal and work with cross-functional teams. The successful candidate will be able to improve industrial processes in order to maintain efficiency, reduce cost, improve sustainability and maximize profitability.
What You'll Do
- Development activities will range from bench scale trials to cost-effective processes for manufacturing and commercialization of new and existing products
- Ability to integrate process knowledge & expertise into new product developments
- Conduct internal manufacturing process reviews to determine efficacy for new products and improvements to existing products
- Creates and maintains product specifications for equipment, processes, and testing procedures
- Conducts lab experiments and line trials within the manufacturing facilities to ensure the accuracy of the process and quality of the product
- Resolve roadblocks in product development that enables new product launches and improvements in quality, production efficiencies, and throughput.
- Evaluates manufacturing processes by designing and conducting research programs; applying knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials; conferring with equipment vendors; soliciting observations from operators.
- Develops manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; conferring with equipment vendors.
- Improves manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning work flow, space requirements, and equipment layout.
- Assures product and process quality by designing testing methods; testing finished- product and process capabilities; establishing standards; confirming manufacturing processes.
- Provides manufacturing decision-making information by calculating production, labor, and material costs; reviewing production schedules; estimating future requirements.
- Prepares product and process reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Provides manufacturing engineering information by answering questions and requests.
- Keeps equipment operational by coordinating maintenance and repair services; following manufacturer's instructions and established procedures; requesting special service.
- Maintains product and process data base by writing computer programs; entering data.
- Complete design and development projects
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Who You Are
- 5-8 years of hands-on experience in new food product/process development and successful commercialization of new food products
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Food Engineering/Technology, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent with hands-on relevant food industry experience. An advanced degree is a plus.
- Passion and imagination for creating & implementing new and exciting food packaging.
- Self-starter that is naturally curious and enjoys working in a fast-paced innovation-centric environment.
- Proficiency in food equipment/process engineering, ingredient functionality as it relates to process interactions and the ability to effectively communicate with cross-functional teams.
- Computer literacy required with proficiency in Google Suite (Sheets, Docs, Slides)
- Strong project management skills
What We Offer
- 100% company-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision for you and 75% for your dependents
- Flexible Time Off
- Daily catered lunch
- The opportunity to work with an incredibly supportive team of thinkers and innovators
Zume provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.