We are one of the main reasons it’s possible to text with a business today. Zipwhip was the first company to enable texting on existing business phone numbers, and we are now the world’s leading business-texting software and API provider. More than 35,000 companies use us to increase customer engagement and drive growth through texting on their existing landline, VoIP or toll-free phone number. Intuitive cloud-based software, an enterprise-grade API and direct network connectivity mean businesses can use any computer or mobile device to securely and reliably reach their customers, every time.
Our strong venture backing allows us to aggressively invest in our product, technology and team; we’ve received nearly $100 million in funding from the likes of Goldman Sachs, M12 (Microsoft Ventures) and OpenView. We are consistently ranked one of Washington’s fastest-growing workplaces, and were voted the 6th best place to work in the state by Seattle Business magazine and The Puget Sound Business Journal in 2019.
Every day we work to uphold our core DIRECT values: Determination, Innovation, Respect, Enthusiasm, Collaboration and Trust. We know that we’ll build better products if we have a diverse and inspired team that’s encouraged to make mistakes and experiment.
If you want to be part of a team where you’re supported and empowered to change the way the world communicates, then we’d love to hear from you.
We are looking for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to work collaboratively with software developers to ensure the reliability, availability, and performance of our innovative text messaging platform. You should be passionate about solving difficult scaling problems, designing highly available infrastructure, and writing quality software to continuously improve the customer experience.
How this role makes an impact:
- Desire to understand how things work and are passionate about sharing that knowledge with others.
- Have experience supporting a complex and distributed SaaS application at scale.
- Are excited about shipping production-level systems and can analyze/optimize performance in high-traffic internet applications.
- Will bring your unique set of diverse experiences and background to our team in an open and collaborative manner so that we can all expand and grow faster.
- Put the customer first: “Will the customer be delighted with this?”
- Are curious, willing to learn, share and improve.
What you'll be working on:
- You will have the opportunity to tackle complex challenges of scale on our platform and will keep an ever-watchful eye on our systems capacity and performance.
- Own end-to-end availability and performance of key services.
- Build automation to increase productivity, prevent problem recurrence and improve service monitoring.
- Provide technical leadership and coaching to other engineers.
- Join an SRE team on-call rotation to continuously improve our operational awareness and responsibility.
- Leverage your experience in distributed systems and microservice architecture to understand how systems fail and spend the time educating engineers on building more resilient services.
The skills you'll need:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience.
- 10+ years of experience in an SRE or cloud operations engineer role.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience building customer-facing applications.
- Proficiency deploying, operating, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems, including networking and databases.
- Passion for automation, security and implementation of monitoring and alerting to facilitate an on-call engineering culture.
- Hands-on experience building and supporting a SaaS product in AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- Hands-on experience running production systems on Kubernetes.
- Deep expertise curating telemetry, logging, and metrics for a customer facing application.
- Experience using deployment automation/configuration management tools such as Terraform/Helm.
- Experience with functional or imperative programming languages (Python, Go or Java).
- Show organizational agility, cross-team collaboration, commitment for results, and written and verbal communications.
- Ranked the #6 best workplace in Washington in 2019 from Seattle Business magazine and The Puget Sound Business Journal
- Consistently ranked one of Washington’s fastest-growing companies by Deloitte
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full benefits package including parental leave, 401k, flexible remote work, generous PTO
- Health benefits including paid maternity and paternity leave, medical, vision, disability and life insurance
- Free on-site (remote for now) weekly yoga and meditation classes hosted by ZUM fitness, and discounted memberships to Soul Fitness and CorePower Yoga
- A brand new office on Elliott Bay with easy beachfront park access which we look forward to returning to post COVID-19 though we maintain a Remote Work Policy.
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage
- A culture of transparency and open communication, including a weekly Company update meeting (catered weekly lunch when onsite working) hosted by our CEO
- Values-based leadership and a commitment to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive Company
Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job.
This job is work from home friendly though occasional travel to Headquarters post COVID will be necessary.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity of all kinds. We prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally recognized basis. This includes, but isn’t limited to, race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, creed, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
We are an E-verify participating employer.