Zipwhip is a Seattle-based SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) company providing text messaging to businesses across North America through cloud-based software and a best-in-class API solution. One of the 10 fastest-growing companies in Seattle as ranked by Inc., Zipwhip invented the technology that enables businesses to text using their existing landline, VoIP or toll-free phone number and communicate with consumers the modern way.
Zipwhip is aggressively investing in our people, product offerings and processes. We are backed by Microsoft Ventures, OpenView, Voyager Capital and a host of other investors, and are seeing rapid growth in both employees and revenue. Zipwhip is the only business-texting provider with direct connections to all Tier 1 and 2 wireless operators in the U.S., and we've delivered billions of texts to consumers nationwide.
Zipwhip employees come to work every day (to one of Seattle's coolest offices) inspired and ready to live out our DIRECT values: Determination, Innovation, Respect, Enthusiasm, Collaboration and Trust. If you want to be part of an organization where highly motivated thinkers are empowered to change the way we communicate with the world around us, then we'd like to hear from you.
What we're looking for:
We are looking for hands-on engineering managers to lead teams building new products and features for our customers. You will work with a broad range of technologies, including backend and/or frontend frameworks and mobile platforms. We are looking for candidates who are comfortable with high degrees of ambiguity, who are comfortable contributing code, mentoring engineers, and acting as a technical leader to set the direction and vision for our platform.
What's the job really?
- Lead a team of software engineers responsible for the design, development, testing, deployment of features. This includes rolling up your sleeves with hands-on engineering responsibilities like code reviews
- Mentor and coach engineers with various experience levels, to help them become more effective
- Work with colleagues in Product Management, Design, DevOps and other development teams
- Demonstrate knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the entire SDLC, including coding standards, code reviews, source code management, build processes, and testing
- Contribute to the team's technical output: write code, architect, and debug issues
- Evangelize about new technologies, solutions, and best practices
What you bring to the table:
- 10+ years of experience shipping application features and code (preferably for a fast-moving tech startup)
- 5+ years experience directly managing one or more engineering teams
- Full proficiency in backend (Java and Spring) or frontend/web technologies (React.js)
- Able to design and implement well-crafted, scalable, and maintainable code
- Ability to make reasonable trade-offs based on time and resource constraints in the interest of the business and customers
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, keep momentum on each and manage project due dates
- Track record of delivering successful, innovative solutions
- Proven ability to recruit and manage technical teams
What we offer:
- A fun, lively startup culture and one of Seattle's coolest offices, located across the street from Safeco Field
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Complimentary access to a fitness center
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage
- Full benefits package including parental leave, a matching 401k program, PTO, and medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Complimentary snacks, complimentary beverages, a subsidized cafeteria with lunch made fresh every day, and free lunch on Fridays catered by local chefs
- Complimentary shuttle access to office from King Street Station, Ferry Terminal and Yesler/Occidental
Zipwhip values a diverse team.
We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.