Our offices are open for a hybrid work environment. Most US-based positions can also be performed remotely (any exceptions will be noted in the Minimum Qualifications below.)
To actively connect people to their next great opportunity. At ZipRecruiter, we foster a culture where our employees feel accepted, supported and celebrated. Our employees find ethical solutions to empower the community and workforce. Differences make us stronger, and we embrace them.
Who We Are:
ZipRecruiter is a leading online employment marketplace. Powered by AI-driven smart matching technology, the company actively connects millions of all-sized businesses and job seekers through innovative mobile, web, and email services, as well as partnerships with the best job boards on the web. ZipRecruiter has the #1 rated job search app on iOS & Android.
At ZipRecruiter, we’ve made it our mission to actively connect people to their next great opportunity and to deliver on our promise, we need an unparalleled level of consumer insight to inspire and inform our design strategy and product roadmap. This is a high impact role that will be crucial to formalize our 0-1 product ideas that will inform our product roadmap, prioritization and business investments.
We are looking for a Lead UX Researcher to join our Product team. In this role, you will be a key partner in setting a new research culture and influence strategic business investments. As a research lead you will scope, design, execute, analyze and report on complex recurring and/or prioritized design research projects. You will work closely with the director of UX research and collaborate with product designers, product marketers, product managers and business analysts.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- As a Lead UX Researcher you will drive user-centric strategy, define research needs, and influence our product roadmap
- Expert in qualitative user research, in-depth IDIs, information synthesis and with an outstanding ability to convert insights into compelling and persuasive user stories
- Build strong relationships and operating rhythms with marketing, product marketing, product, product design and analytics
- Experience working with product marketing: expanding on their work to strengthen our product experience while leveraging design research to make informed business decisions
- Put together research proposals outlining the operational benefit and value for the business and our customers
- Evaluate research methodologies and alternatives while clearly articulating the benefits of choosing one method over another
- Procure the necessary resources to complete your research work — from procurement to execution and socialization — while being open to input from stakeholders
- Implement your research plan and be responsible for the outcome of your research projects, while taking into consideration input and signals from product marketing and the competitive landscape
- Instrument and draw informed conclusions from data to help your core team understand how customers think, act, and feel while using our products
- Participate actively and constructively in design critique sessions while advocating for design research to influence product ideation and design
- Passionate about research documentation and educating product design team and stakeholders on design processes and standards
- You are an idealist and objective researcher who wants to understand users, their needs and possess a strong desire to improve people’s lives
- Your are excited about the work that you produce and take pride and joy educating others about the value and impact of user research
Competencies for long-term success in this role
- A growth mindset: always seeking to learn new things, you're grateful for constructive feedback; you can give direction, take direction and collaborate effectively with colleagues
- Strong desire to quickly externalize and test your candidate solutions: we practice Experiment-Driven Design at ZipRecruiter
- Past success in conveying complex concepts with through research insights and compelling stories
- Savviness around navigating operating rhythms of various types of work environments — internal cross functional teams, research vendors.
- Comfort in a fast-paced environment: like a captain, being able to stay focused and calm even when the seas get stormy
Some travel may be required
There might a group team event and availability; protocols in place.
Required education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Anthropology, Psychology, Sociology, a related field, or equivalent practical and proven experience
- 7+ years of hands-on UX research in-house and/or at a studio with shipped experiences on multiple devices and technologies
- 3 to 5 years leading in-depth qualitative research projects and (In-Depth Interviews) IDIs is preferred
- Expertise procuring and conducting ethnographic research — interviewing, contextual inquiry, fly on the wall observation — then selling the operational benefit of your findings to stakeholders
- Demonstrates exceptional critical thinking and communication skills that are clear and to the point; presents clearly and persuasively to all levels of the company
- Consistently considers the holistic user experience and research insights fit within our product portfolio; points out connections and collisions between different products, workflows and platforms
- Proven success leading user research planning and strategy on complex projects that cross multiple teams and departments
- A track record of proactively identifying user research business needs and performing in-depth analysis including future-focused research, longitudinal studies and usability inspections
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
As part of our team you’ll enjoy:
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional benefits package
- Flexible Vacation & Paid Time Off
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- A fun environment where work-life balance is valued
ZipRecruiter is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or genetics.
Privacy Notice: For information about ZipRecruiter's collection and processing of job applicant personal data for this job, please see our Privacy Notice at: https://www.ziprecruiter.com/careers/job-applicant-privacy-notice