At Zeta, we build and sustain high-performing schools that forge thriving communities of lifelong learners, problem solvers, and innovators. We started with two public charter schools in NYC, which opened for the 2018-2019 school year, and plan to grow rapidly to ten schools serving Pre-K-12th grades. Zeta Schools are committed to academically rigorous education for a modern workforce; mindfulness and wellness; and high-performance, people-first culture. We are changing the public education landscape for all of New York City’s children, and we are uncompromising in our mission.
We are looking for a results-driven Legal Extern to join our team for Fall 2022. This role is a one-of-a-kind opportunity for a creative, talented law student to join a committed start-up team dedicated to delivering excellent, free public education to children of all backgrounds and transforming the landscape of public education.
- Develop research, writing, and analytical skills on a wide range of schooling and legal matters, which may include education law/regulations, building code, facilities/real estate, special education, intellectual property, tax-exempt, employment, contract review, etc.
- Work on a range of special projects to support Zeta’s operations, including, for example, drafting program descriptions, developing and drafting organizational policies and procedures, seeking grant opportunities and drafting grant applications, monitoring education-related policy and legislative developments, and advancing policy strategies that increase access to high-quality public education, and compliance reporting and oversight (regulatory and grant requirements)
- Work closely with an experienced team of lawyers, including reporting directly to Zeta’s General Counsel
- Participate in and observe internal meetings with Zeta’s academic, finance, and operational teams, and external meetings with other key stakeholders, such as students’ families, local officials, real estate developers, and outside advisors.
We strive to offer a fun and intellectually-challenging extern experience. The externship will last for the Fall semester of 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We encourage interested students to apply early, as the position will be filled once a qualified candidate is found. The externship is open to law students who have completed at least one year of law school before the externship commences.
- Demonstrated passion for the mission, vision, and core values of Zeta Schools
- Excellent writing skills are essential, as well as the ability to write quickly
- Strong research, problem-solving, and analytical abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills, good judgment, and an ability to work both independently and in highly collaborative environment
- Passion for driving innovation, disrupting the status quo, trying new approaches, and tackling problems from many angles to find creative solutions
- Ability to work well under pressure and keep track of multiple projects/deadlines
- Strong academic record and recommendations
This is an unpaid externship.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, law school transcript, and a 5 page-or-less legal writing sample. Work authorization required (candidate must have permanent authorization to work in the U.S.). Zeta Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
COVID-19 vaccination mandate: Employment with Zeta Charter Schools is conditioned on proof of full vaccination against the COVID-19 virus or approval of an exemption due to a qualifying medical condition.