Join our mission
At Zeta, we pursue an unprecedented combination of high academic achievement and social-emotional development. We insist that every child receives a world-class education while fostering a love for learning. We are changing the public education landscape for all of New York City’s children, and we are uncompromising in our mission.
To achieve our vision, we are searching for a stellar General Counsel and Director of Special Projects with a JD and significant legal work experience in charter schools, the private sector, fast-paced, high-performing nonprofits, and/or other related fields. Our ideal candidate is fueled by a passion for team success and continual improvement, has a creative, problem-solving mindset, disciplined focus on scalable processes, and demonstrated interest in education.
We are looking for a candidate who is able to start immediately.
Deliver incredible results
As General Counsel and Director of Special Projects, you oversee Zeta’s legal and advisory strategy, leveraging your legal skills to facilitate our growth and broadening impact:
- Overseeing and executing high-level, mission-critical projects to enable Zeta and its schools to maintain compliance while changing the landscape of public education
- Applying leadership, management, project planning, and legal skills to critical organizational priorities in legal, compliance, and adjacent areas
- Providing high-level strategic visioning and project management for critical network initiatives, including transactional work, litigation, charter applications, and growth planning
- Monitoring education-related policy and legislative developments and advancing policy strategies that increase access to high-quality public education
- Overseeing and managing special projects at a high level
- Building and leveraging relationships with necessary external parties, including outside counsel, to facilitate legal and advisory work
- Identifying and spreading best practices and innovations that lead to excellent outcomes and processes, and documenting those processes for organizational capacity-building
- Managing attorneys, guiding their work and supporting them in independently driving high-level projects
- Wearing multiple hats as a part of a lean start-up team, supporting the work of others on the team and taking on new projects and tasks as needed
Become a part of our world-class team
Our Zeta team is comprised of top talent with incredible schooling and private sector experience. We need team members who are passionate about our mission, vision, and core values. You will make a tremendous team member at Zeta if you bring a mindset of growth, flexibility, and openness to feedback. You are hungry and determined to not only meet your goals, but surpass them at all costs. You are highly skilled at effectively communicating with your team members, both in good times and bad.
We maintain an unrelenting focus on team, so you must be humble, willing to put the team’s needs ahead of your own, and committed to contributing to a collaborative work environment. At Zeta, your voice will be valued. As part of a lean start-up, we expect all our teammates to wear multiple hats and have a can-do attitude about overcoming any hurdle!
We want lifelong learners who live with child-like joy and passion. At Zeta, we need you to bring your passion for learning, disrupting the status quo, and tackling problems with creative solutions. Bring your whole self to Zeta.
Currently, Zeta operates four schools, in upper Manhattan and in the South Bronx. We have big growth plans because the educational crisis is massive and requires big solutions. We plan to open two schools each year. Join our growing team today, and change the landscape of public education in New York City. If you can’t wait to get started, apply now!
Work authorization is required (candidate must have permanent authorization to work in the U.S.). Zeta is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.