Join our mission
At Zeta, we pursue an unprecedented combination of high academic achievement and social-emotional development. We insist that every child receives a world-class education while fostering a love for learning. We are changing the public education landscape for all of New York City’s children, and we are uncompromising in our mission.
To achieve our vision, we are searching for a results-driven Legal Counsel with 1-3 years of legal experience to join our team. This role is an opportunity for a creative, talented attorney to join a committed start-up team dedicated to delivering excellent, free public education to children of all backgrounds and transforming the landscape of public education.
Deliver incredible results
As a Legal Counsel, you research and advise on a wide variety of schooling and legal matters and manage mission-critical special projects necessary to support our growth, including:
- Researching and advising on legal questions touching all aspects of our organization (education law/regulations, special education, intellectual property, tax-exempt, employment, contract review, building code, facilities/real estate, etc.)
- Drafting charter applications and program descriptions
- Developing and drafting organizational policies and procedures
- Seeking grant opportunities and drafting grant applications
- Monitoring education-related policy and legislative developments and advancing policy strategies that increase access to high-quality public education
- Compliance reporting and oversight (regulatory and grant requirements)
- Supporting operations team on building short-term and long-term operational practices and systems to shape every aspect of our operations
- Overseeing and managing special projects at a high level
- Interfacing with and overseeing outside counsel, stewarding these relationships
- Proactively driving innovation, trying new approaches, and tackling problems from many angles to find creative solutions
- Identifying and spreading best practices and innovations that lead to excellent outcomes and processes
- Wearing multiple hats as a part of a lean legal and network team, supporting the work of others across the network
Become a part of our world-class team
Our Zeta team is composed of top talent with incredible schooling and private sector experience. We need team members who are passionate about our mission, vision, and core values. You will make a tremendous team member at Zeta if you bring a mindset of growth, flexibility, and openness to feedback. You are hungry and determined to not only meet your goals, but surpass them at all costs. You are highly skilled at effectively communicating with your team members, both in good times and bad. You have strong project-management skills and the ability to work on multiple high-stakes projects while keeping track of deadlines.
We maintain an unrelenting focus on team, so you must be humble, willing to put the team’s needs ahead of your own, and committed to contributing to a collaborative work environment. At Zeta, your voice will be valued. As part of a lean team, we expect all our teammates to wear multiple hats and have a can-do attitude about overcoming any hurdle!
We want lifelong learners who live with child-like joy and passion. At Zeta, we need you to bring your passion for learning, disrupting the status quo, and tackling problems with creative solutions. Bring your whole self to Zeta.
Currently, Zeta operates four schools, one in upper Manhattan and one in the South Bronx. We have big growth plans because the educational crisis is massive and requires big solutions. We plan to open two schools each year. Join our growing team today, and change the landscape of public education in New York City. If you can’t wait to get started, apply now!
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, law school transcript, and legal writing sample (10 pages or less).
Work authorization is required (candidate must have permanent authorization to work in the U.S.). Zeta is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.