Zepz is the group powering two leading global remittance brands: WorldRemit and Sendwave. Since 2010, we have been disrupting an industry previously dominated by offline legacy players with our relentless focus on reducing the cost of remittances and increasing safety and convenience for our users. Every day, our people work to unlock the prosperity of cross-border communities through finance and technology - driven by our vision of a world that celebrates migrants’ impact on prosperity, at home and abroad.
Our brands helped cross-border communities send over $15bn from 50 countries to recipients in 130 countries in 2022. We operate over 5,000 money transfer corridors worldwide and employ over 1,000 people globally. Zepz is a remote-first employer, with team members located across six continents.
Our vision is to create a world that celebrates migrants’ impact on prosperity, at home and abroad. Our purpose is to unlock the prosperity of cross-border communities through finance and technology.
- We act like owners - We are relentlessly delivering for our users and spending money thoughtfully.
- We embrace embarrassing honesty - We function best when we're open and honest with one another — especially about our challenges and doubts.
- We have a bias to action - We get to first outcomes quickly, iterate and learn.
- We strive to be better - We may make mistakes, but always learn from them.
- We are inclusive - to better reflect and serve our users.
About the role
We are looking for an ambitious and pro-active lawyer to become a key member of our team, with a focus on US regulatory and commercial matters. The role will report to the Director of Legal, who is based in the UK.
This is a great role for someone with significant experience advising on US state money transmitter regulations (as well as general regulatory, consumer and commercial matters), who is commercially minded with an ability to find solutions to complex problems and is comfortable acting as the initial primary point of contact for US legal matters. This role will include working autonomously as well as part of a collegiate and supportive international and local cross-functional team.
As a member of Zepz’s Legal team you will aim high, embrace challenge and always do what’s right; acting with integrity and building trust as you contribute to the company’s strategic direction and long term decision making.
Reporting to the Director of Legal, you will:
- Manage day to day legal matters arising from US, Canadian and LatAm regulatory licensing and consent processes.
- Advise on regulatory strategy, including horizon-scanning of legal and regulatory developments, conducting impact assessments, communicating changes and overseeing regulatory change implementation projects (as needed).
- Advise on and negotiate a wide range of commercial arrangements relating to the Americas business (such as customer terms and conditions, network arrangements, commercial partnerships and service provider contracts), including signing off on marketing content, with support from the wider team when needed
- Advise and collaborate with stakeholders from many areas of the business (e.g. Network and Growth, Finance Compliance, Data Protection, Customer Services and Operations teams) on all aspects of our money transfer arrangements.
- Advise the People Team in relation to employment law issues.
- From time to time, and depending on your experience, advise on complex matters and special projects e.g. product launches, litigation, regulatory and licensing matters, ESG or other strategic projects.
- Help develop appropriate legal templates and processes. Actively work to align the legal objectives and business objectives collaboratively.
- Supervise and develop more junior members of the Legal team and assist with the know-how, professional development and training needs of the Legal team.
What we’re looking for from you
- A qualified lawyer with extensive post-qualification experience and a member of at least one U.S. State bar in good standing.
- Experience, ideally in a combination of private law firm and in-house corporate environments, advising on MSB laws and regulations, including regulatory examinations.
- A commercial mindset and ability to think creatively to achieve the commercial objectives of the business and to deliver legal advice in the appropriate commercial and regulatory context and within tight timeframes.
- Strong negotiation skills: experience negotiating complex commercial contracts and ability to influence and persuade decision-making processes both internally and externally.
- Excellent technical skills: demonstrated ability to draft clear, professional and legally robust correspondence, advice, contracts, policies and other documentation as required, with appropriate form and style.
- First class interpersonal and communication skills: able to, and enjoy, building and maintaining good relationships both internally and externally at all levels.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and juggling multiple priorities.
- Ability to work independently, but also a team player: fostering knowledge sharing and talent development.
Salary range in the US: $155,000 - $169,000. Actual compensation for this role will depend on several factors including qualifications, skills, competencies, and relevant experience"
What we offer you:
Please note that the benefits below will apply to Full-time roles.
We have five core benefits for our talent in the US, UK, Philippines, Poland, and South Africa. If you're not in one of those regions, don’t worry - the Talent team can let you know what is available for you specifically:
Unlimited Annual Leave: Most Zepz team members are eligible for unlimited annual leave. Colleagues in customer-facing roles, receive a competitive holiday allowance and four recharge days a year. Feel free to make the most of your time off and maintain a healthy work-life balance!
Private Medical Cover: You can opt-in to a Private Medical Insurance scheme. This provides you with access to thorough medical coverage, so you can feel confident in your health and well-being.
Retirement: We offer pension schemes to help you plan for and secure your future.
Life Assurance: Life assurance is available to give you peace of mind and protect your loved ones in case of the unexpected.
Parental Leave: We offer competitive parental leave schemes to ensure you are spending as much quality time with your new bundle of joy as possible.
We are also remote-first as an organisation, offering flexibility for you to work where you need to be most productive. In many locations, we have workspaces, which you can use as you desire. Most roles in the Philippines are predominately office-based, with this we offer free meals for those 100% on-site.
In addition to the above, you will discover that we have a range of secondary perks (such as the cycle-to-work scheme and employee discounts) depending on your location, to help you thrive at Zepz!
Why choose Zepz?
Our team of over 1,000 employees is fully distributed across the world. We are working from coffee shops, homes, and co-working spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world but we also offer workspace in our talent cluster locations - spaces we can meet, collaborate and connect.
We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, band members, yoga teachers, YouTube influencers, former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, Wolof, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish.
At Zepz, embodying our commitments binds us together. We are collectively passionate about striving to achieve our vision and purpose - to continue to provide the best service to our users.
Ready to Apply?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume along with a cover letter (optional), highlighting why your experience demonstrates you meet the requirements of the role. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Zepz is a place where everyone can thrive.
So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, and if at all you might need any form of support to make the process as comfortable as possible, please let us know and give us a shot by applying. We want you to be excited to wake up to make an impact every day.