Gem is building the platform for modern recruiting. Our software empowers recruiters to source and engage with candidates at scale, and gives talent leaders data and insights to operate their teams more efficiently. Our customers are savvy recruiting teams from industry-leading companies — like Twilio, Robinhood, Peloton, and Gusto — who understand that getting the best talent in the market is key to maintaining their competitive advantage.
With $148M in funding led by ICONIQ, Greylock, and Accel at a $1.2B valuation, Gem has become one of the fastest-growing SaaS companies at its scale. In the last year, we tripled ARR, made Y Combinator’s and were recognized as a great place for career growth and diversity by Comparably.
The Team & The Role
As our first Analytics Engineer at Gem, you will be a founding member of our analytics team. You will be responsible for building, maintaining and improving our data environments from pipelines into our warehouse to output in our business intelligence tool. To accomplish this, you will own processes to transform, document, and clean our data while ensuring that our warehouse remains as performant as possible. As data at Gem becomes more complex, you will also help us shape how we scale the analytics team, identify opportunities for tech stack improvements, and lead the charge on enforcing best practices.
Your first priority will be to set up pipelines and reporting to provide ongoing visibility into our marketing initiatives, but in this role, you will get to work with almost every kind of data at Gem including user behavior, customer support, marketing, and financial data.
- Work with stakeholders to define and measure core business metrics, starting with marketing
- Use those metrics to drive analyses that help us understand how we're doing, and partner with business stakeholders to develop strategies for the future
- Follow and improve our processes for maintaining high quality data and reporting
- Build upon and document our data models so that data can be connected and analyzed
- Research and recommend new tools to enhance our stack
- Manage pre-configured data pipelines and design custom pipelines as appropriate
- Advocate for improvements to data quality, security, and performance that have a particular impact across your team and the organization
- Help to define and improve our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale data infrastructure
- Make recommendations on how we continue to scale the analytics team at Gem
- 4+ years working experience as an Analytics Engineer (or equivalent) and preferably with 1+ years of experience working with marketing data sources
- Fluency in SaaS company and marketing metrics
- Expert knowledge in SQL (Snowflake preferred) and Python/R
- Experience with dbt
- Experience with a BI Tool (Looker preferred)
- Experience with data orchestration tools like Airflow, Prefect, or Dagster preferred
- Ability to synthesize non-technical requests into technical output
- High attention to detail and ability to think structurally about a solution
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to be your own product manager (organized, prioritizes efficiently and has honest expectations)
Gem is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our inclusive work environment and encourage folks of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. At Gem, we’re committed to having an inclusive and transparent environment where every voice is heard and acknowledged. We embrace our differences, and know that our diverse team is a strength that drives our success.
Gem is committed to developing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. If you require any accommodation, please email us at and we’ll work with you to meet your accessibility needs.