Gem is building the platform for modern recruiting. Our software empowers recruiters to source and engage with candidates at scale, and gives talent leaders analytics and end-to-end visibility into the recruiting funnel. Our customers are savvy recruiting teams from industry-leading companies — like Slack, Pinterest, and Dropbox — who understand that getting the best talent in the market is key to maintaining their competitive advantage.
Backed by Greylock, Accel and Y Combinator, Gem has gotten enormous traction since we began going to market in 2018. We grew revenue 4x in 2019, and more than doubled in 2020--making us one of the fastest growing SaaS companies at our scale. We also were listed as one of the in the Y Combinator portfolio.
The Team & Role
As a Product Engineer at Gem, you will take projects from ideation to production — working directly with users and cross-functional partners in product, design, sales, and customer success to build the best product for users. This is a unique opportunity to wear multiple hats, learn about all aspects of a startup, and be involved in the entire product iteration process.
Each cohort in the rotational program consists of 3-6 new grad Product Engineers joining Gem around the same time. The program gives each person the opportunity to work on at least 3 multi-month projects within the first year, giving exposure to different parts of the product and members of the team. During the first year, Gem will also organize off-sites, social events, and dedicated time with cross-functional leaders to get to know your fellow Gems.
Our technology stack is configured with velocity in mind. GraphQL, AWS, and Python are just a few of the technologies we use to enable velocity. Reliability and consistency are also very important to us. We sync millions of emails, resumes, and applications and rely on that information to inform our customers (has anyone on the team reached out to this person?) and services (should we send a follow-up email?).
Read more about our company values: https://blog.gem.com/what-its-like-to-work-at-gem
- Build features that make recruiting teams feel super-powered
- Collaborate with teammates to identify solutions with the right trade-offs
- Participate in code and design reviews
- Work closely with sales to understand customer pain points and opportunities for features and improvements
- Build infrastructure to handle metadata for millions of candidates
- BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Gem Company Culture Highlights
- Gem is ranked in the top 5% of companies for Overall Culture on Comparably.
- Gem is ranked in the top 5% of companies for Work Culture on Comparably.
- Engineering Department is ranked in the top 5% of companies for Overall Culture on Comparably.
- Engineering Department is ranked in the top 5% of companies for Work Culture on Comparably.
Check us out on Comparably: https://www.comparably.com/companies/gem-com
Gem is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our inclusive work environment and encourage folks of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. At Gem, we’re committed to having an inclusive and transparent environment where every voice is heard and acknowledged. We embrace our differences, and know that our diverse team is a strength that drives our success.
Gem is committed to developing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. If you require any accommodation, please email us at and we’ll work with you to meet your accessibility needs.