Every time you go out to eat, you want food that tastes good and is safely prepared, a clean environment, and quality service. Creating that consistent experience is at the core of how Zenput is used today in 60,000 locations across 100+ countries by the world’s top restaurant chains, convenience stores, and grocers. Customers including Domino’s, Chipotle, P.F. Changs, Five Guys, KFC, Smart & Final, and 7-Eleven rely on our top-ranked operations execution platform to keep their business moving and growing by ensuring work is done correctly, and on time.
Founded in 2012, our company vision is to make every meal, a safe meal. Recognized for the third year in a row as one of Inc.’s Best Workplaces, the team working toward that vision has grown to 130+ Zenputters across our hybrid workforce - with offices in San Francisco, CA (HQ), Atlanta, GA, and Guadalajara, MX, and remotely-based employees.
About The Role
As an Engineering Manager, you will own one or more engineering teams, from the short term product outcomes to the long term health and success of your people and the company. Working collaboratively with other talented engineers as an empathetic system thinker you will continue to evolve our platform.
What You’ll Do As An Engineering Manager
- Manage a team or two of engineers (~4-10 engineers total) including all the people things: hiring, retention, performance management, etc.
- Collaborate closely with a product manager to ensure your team is building the Right Things in the short and long term.
- Champion the technical things your team needs to do to build things the Right Way in the short and long term, and work with your product manager to get the balance right.
- Use our entire technology stack and to develop new features and applications for the Zenput platform, including web and mobile UI’s, commenting and messaging, webhooks and APIs, as well as expand capabilities in our mobile applications.
- Contribute to and influence design and development decisions
- Work in an agile environment, quickly and incrementally delivering value to our customers using tools from the SCRUM toolbox and using tight feedback loops with customers, product, and quality.
- Maximize our velocity and minimize risk by using TDD/CI and other DevOps best practices.
- Use Jira, Slack, and Zoom, to communicate with your team and leadership
What We’re Looking For
- Experience in a player/coach role shaping the culture of the company and the team. You are a strong communicator, naturally empathetic and show a lot of emotional intelligence. You appreciate the need for the right process at the right time, and are also comfortable being the scrum master in an agile environment.
- Also (prior to becoming a manager), you were an experienced engineer - Extensive experience developing high quality products in modern technologies. Other engineers look to you for technical guidance and advice. You're comfortable starting off as an engineer to become familiar with the product and stack. You value simplicity and pragmatism, implementing the right technical solution for the right problem at the right time (i.e. you don't over-engineer, but you do thoroughly consider the constraints)
- As a manger, you've developed career plans, done performance management, performed countless interviews, retained top and diverse talent. You favor giving the team context over exerting control. You strive for excellence with CI and other best practices, you write (or help write) reusable and scalable code. You believe in good design and favor a code review culture with high test coverage, automation, performance and high availability.
- We're a team, and we win as a team. Your team knows what is expected of them and you can provide frequent, direct and constructive feedback. In addition to the engineering team, you work closely with product managers and designers to make sure we build the right products.
- Someone fun, interesting, and likes to build and hack. Not just software!
- 5+ years of experience managing engineers
- 5+ years of prior software engineering experience
Nice To Haves
- Experience working remotely
- Experience with DevOps
- Experience working with hardware (mobile devices, embedded hardware)
- Expertise in and experience developing enterprise products, and web products at scale
- Experience with distributed systems, complex user interfaces or other challenging engineering problems
- Open source contributions
- You’ve helped make your work environment fun, and it’s important to you.
- You’ve built great relationships with coworkers in the past, and want to keep doing it.
- You care similarly about building great software, and building great relationships with other people.
- You’re interested in the technical problems we are solving.
- You’re interested in the types of business problems we are solving.
What you’ll get
- Savings fund
- Food vouchers
- 30 days Christmas bonus
- Medical insurance
- Paid company holidays
- 12 vacation days and unlimited PTO