Chief Technology Officer & VP Engineering
Zeitworks is a Seattle and LA-based, venture-backed startup on a mission to streamline business process improvement and maximize human potential at work. We are actively seeking a talented senior leader to be our CTO & VP of Engineering who will lead our technology and product architecture, build out the technology team and enable rapid scaling.
In every organization, teams are executing hundreds of repetitive business processes that together create an overall experience for their customers. Team members and business leaders alike want to improve these processes but are lacking visibility and insight into how they’re being performed and where to invest to drive the greatest impact.
The traditional way to discover and improve business processes has involved big projects, expensive consultants, obtrusive over-the-shoulder observations, and countless meetings. The results are lackluster, take months or years to materialize, and often create division between team members and leaders.
Zeitworks uses proprietary ML and AI to automatically discover, analyze and improve an organization’s business processes with breakthrough zero disruption, and provides business leaders with never-before available business insights in near real-time. Our disruptive technology and SaaS delivery model allow us to democratize process improvement by taking it directly to the leaders and team members that perform the work.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The CTO & VP of Engineering will be responsible for the secure development and delivery of all customer-facing products and services, including the infrastructure, data pipeline, and applied research science that make Zeitworks the world’s only self-service business process improvement solution.
The functional areas that this leader will be accountable for include:
- Product Development – Develop SaaS products that enable our customers to automatically discover, analyze, and improve their business operations. Key product components include an intelligent desktop agent, SaaS portal and dashboard, reporting engine, and AI augmentation assistant.
- Cloud Operations & Security – Ensure availability of our cloud services at 99.999% uptime while meeting or exceeding SOC 2 and ISO 27001/27002 security standards.
- Data Science: ML & AI – Oversee the research, development, and application of machine learning and artificial intelligence to the domain of business process improvement. We use ML and AI extensively for both process discovery and our Boost augmentation assistant.
- Engineering Operations – Drive fast cycle development capabilities including Agile / Scrum, Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery, prioritization and demand management, and the development of effective development and production systems.
- Intellectual Property Development – Expand and manage the company’s base of intellectual property, including its patent portfolio.
To achieve these goals, the CTO & VP Engineering will recruit and develop a world class Technology and Engineering Organization. The initial team will consist of roughly 10 software developers, ML engineers, and DevOps team members, along with a small team of offshore developers. Zeitworks is a product company at its core and we anticipate major investment in technology as we scale.
One of the most disruptive aspects of our business model is our ability to take our value proposition directly to business leaders, bypassing the traditional enterprise sales cycle, corporate red tape, and system integration projects. To do this effectively, we need to continuously eliminate friction from the customer experience.
WHAT DEFINES SUCCESS? EXPECTATIONS IN THE FIRST 12 MONTHS INCLUDE:
- Fully staff the initial team consisting of 10 software developers, ML engineers, and DevOps Engineers within six months of hire with top tier talent
- Develop product roadmap jointly with VP Product
- Establish a Product Development Life Cycle jointly with the VP Product
- Establish an agile software development cadence with associated infrastructure
- Create and execute blueprint for secure, scalable SaaS platform architecture
- Automate and productize entire value delivery chain by constantly working to eliminate manual effort to enable scale
- Direct and oversee data collection, data processing, and ML and AI research and development, architecture, and productization.
- Develop and execute strategy for deployment and management of intelligent desktop agent, including auto-update capabilities
- Develop proprietary capabilities in process discovery, analysis, recommendations, and improvement interventions
- Design and develop SaaS portal including dashboard, reporting engine, and management console
- Develop and implement QA strategy with full regression testing
- Implement CI/CD infrastructure and practices
- Draft and implement data security policy; oversee and present responses to customer security reviews
- Obtain ISO 27001/27002 and SOC2 certification
- Architect a scalable data pipeline for machine learning
ATTRIBUTES OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
Product / Technical
- Advanced experience with data science and machine learning approaches to solve novel problems with proprietary data collection and processing in a product setting, including deploying models in a production environment (MLOps)
- Big Data machinery and plumbing: experience building/managing large scale, continuous, and distributed data processing pipelines in cloud environments (e.g. hadoop, spark, kafka, modern/alternative databases/datastores, etc.), including containerization technologies
- Experience developing modern Service Oriented Architectures (SOA) and cloud microservices technologies
- Experience with data lineage, governance applied to enterprise system
- Experience with operational and structural architectural characteristics (availability, scalability, extensibility, maintainability, etc.)
- Security, networking fundamentals, including experience managing security and compliance audits, building a strong security-conscience culture, and navigating security reviews with customers
- 8+ years’ experience building and leading high-performance engineering teams, including establishing/enforcing best engineering practices (unit testing, CI/CD pipelines, code reviews, code cohesion/coupling/connascence metrics, etc.)
- Experience leading Agile software development teams and processes
- Tech Transparency & Evangelism - gift of explaining and selling complicated technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Instrumental in bringing new products to market (either big co. or startup), including enterprise and SaaS product development
- Domain experience with enterprise business processes by having worked in or serving enterprises
- Experience in venture-backed startups from finding product/market fit to reaching scale
- A strong sense of customer empathy
- Strong delegator and collaborator, both intra and inter team
- Track record of being a stellar recruiter, builder of amazing teams
- Strong cultural leader, high credibility, someone people respect and will follow
- Outstanding presentation skills for customer technical and security reviews
- Scrappy - experience doing a lot with limited resources
- Picking up balls, holding self accountable, holding others accountable
- Pragmatic: experience with stage-appropriate architecture and development - crawl, walk, run
- Open, transparent, flexible
Continuous Improvement means the relentless pursuit of excellence, both personally and professionally for ourselves and our customers. It means striving to reach our full potential both as individuals and as a team through an ongoing process of unceasing curiosity and development.
Empowerment means showing people how their actions directly impact the businesses’ goals. It means helping them to focus on what matters the most, helping them balance autonomy with accountability and risk with credibility. It means developing leaders who can determine how to best deliver value.
Speed means more than moving fast, it starts with a well informed team, alignment around a plan, and measurable outcomes. Some mistakes will be made along the way but that’s good; it means decisions are being made. Even if things don’t go as planned, it means there will be opportunities to share and to learn.
Integrity means having transparency and follow through, with no politics, hidden agendas or passive-aggressive behavior. It means sharing an obligation to have real, honest conversations and respectfully speaking up when you disagree or see a problem. It means holding each other accountable ensures our collective success and to build trust.
Diversity means embracing the differences in who are and our experiences to find creative and innovative solutions to challenging problems. It means creating a culture based on humility and respect to ensure everyone can thrive and express themselves, their ideas and opinions. It means encouraging that we speak with candor, openness, and vulnerability wherever possible.
Joy means celebrating each other as a team and as individuals, as we share in this journey both at work and in life. It means working together to create a healthy, sustainable environment that balances the me and the we.