WHO WE ARE
We are a modern, embedded payroll provider that helps empower companies to build their own unique payroll service. On top of our easy-to-use payroll API, we are pioneering an all-inclusive tax engine to democratize a broken and cumbersome process providing accessibility to small, medium, and large businesses and helping Americans get paid.
Backed by over $14 million in funding by top investors such as Y Combinator, Spark Capital (Marqeta, Coinbase, Affirm), and Robinhood's Founder; Vlad Tenev we are projected to be a forerunner in embedded payroll with an industry amassing billions of dollars in untapped revenue.
Our mission is to empower companies to become their own fin-tech company using our simple, seamless, and forward-thinking payroll technology and we'd love to learn more about you and how you could be a fit for our growing team here in San Francisco!
ABOUT THE ROLE
All our engineers here at Zeal are full-stack engineers, but we take concerted efforts on aligning with your background, qualifications, and interests and we can carve out a role focused on exemplifying your strengths.
We are not only expanding our product and features, but also investing in scalability as we bring on more volume onto our platform. As a Staff Engineer on the team you will be working very closely with the CTO on larger scale projects to help uplift the team, improve our security posture, implement best scalability practices, and serve as a technical leader on a tight-knit, fast-moving engineering team.
Our engineering team is super into Typescript and we're built on React/Redux, Node, MongoDB, and AWS and all split up into microservices. Locally we use yarn 3, esbuild. You will get to work directly with our founders and other heads of departments from Stripe, Square, Microsoft, Apple, Brex, and others... which will only increase your business acumen and provide lots of opportunities to get closer to our product vision and strengthen our team's cross-department collaboration.
‼️ Salary for this role is between $175k-195k with equity from a Series-A company.
SOME THINGS YOU MAY BE WORKING ON
- Participate in Zeal’s security program and up-level Zeal’s security posture.
- Work on our DevOps program and DevX. You will help maintain and improve our CI/CD process.
- Lead improvements to our tax management stack, streamlining payroll migration process, and thinking about how to scale our services + infrastructure to handle large enterprise customers.
- This role focuses on building and coding in our codebase, designing tooling and process for the team, and you will be expected to play a major role in product and technical strategy.
- You will be maintaining our Technical Roadmap, setting technical direction for the team, and serve as a technical advisor to our Product team.
- 8+ years of professional software engineering experience
- You have a strong interest in DevOps and Security
- You've built products end-to-end, working closely with product and design teams
- You have experience mentoring junior developers and are excited to act as a Tech Lead
- You are an empathetic developer and value working in a diverse and collaborative environment
- A desire to ship high quality code and build something people want
OUR INTERVIEW PROCESS
Step 1: ✋ Chat with our team - 30 mins
Step 2: 💬 Chat with our CTO - 30 mins
Step 3: 💵 Take-Home Assignment - 3-4 hours
Step 4: 💻 Final Interview - 2.5 hours
Final Interview Details: Review assignment with CTO and another Engineer, have a coffee chat with someone, and a final call with someone from leadership to learn more about the vision and mission of Zeal
We are located in the SoMa district of San Francisco and we value in-person collaboration and communication as we grow and scale our business. We are a tight-knit, inclusive community that is into music 🎵, cocktails 🍹, pets 🐈🐕, ping-pong 🏓 and above all else ~ high quality espresso ☕ but more importantly we value championing for our staff to bring their authentic true selves to work and aim to provide a fun and collaborative work environment for everyone!
- 🩺 100% health coverage premium paid by the company; vision, dental
- 💸 Generous salary and equity for all staff
- 📸 Free professional headshot for your LinkedIn
- 🍿 🍹 Free snacks and drinks and Friday happy hours
- 🦓 Awesome Swag
If you have any questions about the role, our process, or anything else before applying, feel free to reach out to one of our team members at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our company (Puzzl Group, aka Zeal) is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.