WHO WE ARE
We help empower companies to build their own unique payroll service. On top of our easy-to-use payroll API, we are pioneering an all-inclusive tax engine to democratize a broken and cumbersome process providing accessibility to small, medium, and large businesses and helping Americans get paid.
Backed by over $18 million in funding by top investors such as Y Combinator, Spark Capital (Marqeta, Coinbase, Affirm), and Robinhood's Founder; Vlad Tenev, we are projected to be a forerunner in embedded payroll with an industry amassing billions of dollars in untapped revenue.
Our mission is to empower companies to become their own fin-tech company using our simple, seamless, and forward-thinking payroll technology and we'd love to learn more about you and how you could be a fit for our growing team!
! This role is a hybrid role in our San Francisco Office located in the SoMa district of SF 2x a week (Tues/Thurs)
ABOUT THE ROLE
We're looking for an ambitious Staff Product Designer to lead early-stage user research and design and set the foundation for Zeal's design strategy and philosophy. You’ll help to define Zeal’s vision, product strategy, and UX—driving the product design lifecycle end-to-end. You will work in close collaboration with the product, engineering, and partner growth teams, to break down technically complex problems and shape them into elegant, novel solutions that are discoverable, learnable, and powerful.
As an early member of the design team, you’ll also have great influence in shaping our processes, objectives, and growth.
SOME THINGS YOU MAY BE WORKING ON
- Be the voice of design as an IC design leader weighing business needs with the voice of the customer and take initiative on gathering user feedback + data using strong project management capabilities
- Manage several keystone design projects from white-board to product launch with strong teamwork between product and engineering teams
- Iterate on our current design system with a keen focus on UX research, design philosophy, and UI principles.
- Design new editions to our white label components, design new and refactor current dashboard features, and contribute to design documentation and design best-practices
- Collaborate with our Partner Growth team and conduct user research to iterate on new product design features
- Be a strategic partner in product strategy and how design can play a key role in how we build and ship new product features.
- Creatively work in Figma building beautiful mock-ups
- 6+ years of product design experience, preferably at a startup or interest in joining one
- B2B product design experience with a keen focus on UX design principles, plus for API or dashboard design experiences
- Familiarity with the customer discovery and development process
- Experience whiteboarding, conducting user research, and creating mockups/wireframes/prototypes
- Expert in Figma and Adobe/Sketch/Illustrator
- Ability to understand payroll and APIs with an ability to present your work to stakeholders
- A desire to own design strategy and contribute to the overall product roadmap at Zeal
- Strong design leadership experiences and ability to convey your opinions to cross-departmental teams and stakeholders
NICE TO HAVE’S
- Fintech background or a strong interest in learning more about payroll and APIs
- You will have autonomy/ownership in how our product is designed and developed
- We want to invest in you, we will help you gain the skills and experiences to reach your professional goals here at Zeal and beyond
- We value design and see it as an integral aspect of how Zeal can grow and scale. Our team will be your champions in seeing your designs become a reality!
We are located in the SoMa district of San Francisco and we value in-person collaboration and communication as we grow and scale our business. We are a tight-knit, inclusive community that is into: music 🎵, cocktails 🍹, pets 🐈🐕, ping-pong 🏓 and above all else ~ high-quality espresso ☕ but more importantly we value championing for our employees to bring their authentic true selves to work and aim to provide a fun and collaborative work environment for everyone!
- 🩺 100% health coverage premium paid by the company; vision, dental, and 80% for dependents with HSA options
- ➕ Life Insurance, Accidental Insurance, and access to free EAP services
- 💸 Generous salary and equity for all staff
- 🪟 10-year equity option exercise window for all employees
- 🪜 401k option; helping you save for the future
- 🚌 Commuters Stipend for all SF-based employees
- 📚 Yearly Professional Development Stipend to use on courses, books, events, etc
- 🥤 Monthly Happy Hours, Team Lunches, Boba breaks, and lots of Events (board games, trivia, bowling, VR, golfing, hiking)
- 👏 Company Wide Offsite every year (2023, Coronado Island 🏝 2022 was Sonoma and Napa 🍷)
- 🦓 Awesome Zeal Swag - did you know a group of Zebra is called a Zeal, that’s why we have a Zebra mascot!
OUR INTERVIEW PROCESS
This is our process for most of our roles, but sometimes stages are subject to change from time to time, we will definitely notify you of the change ahead of time.
Step 1: ✋ Chat with our recruiter - Grace - 30 mins
Step 2: 💬 Chat with our CTO - Pranab - 30 mins
Step 3: 💵 Take-Home Assignment - 2-4 hours
Step 4: 💻 Final Interview - 2.5 hours
After a few days to 1 week, we will get back to you with a decision
OUR COMPENSATION & PHILOSOPHY
The range for this role is between $150,000-180,000 for California-based candidates
Check out our Job Leveling, Salary, and Equity Guide to learn more! https://www.notion.so/Job-Leveling-Salary-and-Equity-at-Zeal-ae4900f63acd465e871a76c5afa9cbbe?pvs=21
❤️ If you are curious to know more about our culture, check out our Notion Culture Doc
Our company (Puzzl Group, aka Zeal) is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.