WHO WE ARE
We are a modern, embedded payroll provider that helps empower companies to build their own unique payroll service. On top of our easy-to-use payroll API, we are pioneering an all-inclusive tax engine to democratize a broken and cumbersome process providing accessibility to small, medium, and large businesses and helping Americans get paid.
Backed by over $14 million in funding by top investors such as Y Combinator, Spark Capital (Marqeta, Coinbase, Affirm), and Robinhood's Founder; Vlad Tenev we are projected to be a forerunner in embedded payroll with an industry amassing billions of dollars in untapped revenue.
Our mission is to empower companies to become their own fin-tech company using our simple, seamless, and forward-thinking payroll technology and we'd love to learn more about you and how you could be a fit for our growing team here in San Francisco!
ABOUT THE ROLE
All our engineers here at Zeal are full-stack engineers, but we take concerted efforts on aligning with your background, qualifications, and interests and we can carve out a role focused on exemplifying your strengths: 80% backend - sure! 70% frontend - no problem, 50/50 frontend, and backend - let’s go!
We are expanding our product and features and therefore there are lots of opportunities to grow how you want. Some things you could be working on in this role would be working within our compliance, payments, white-label components, and developer tools within the payments API industry (embedded payroll) product.
‼️ Salary for this role is between $145-175k with equity from a series-A company and is remote with a few company-sponsored trips to San Francisco a year.
SOME THINGS YOU MAY BE WORKING ON
Current projects you could jump into and work on:
- improving user experience + usability of the platform, customizing white-labeled components, enriching the developer experience of our API, and, integrating with other fintech vendors APIs enabling us to launch additional features to Zeal’s product
Future projects in the backlog we’d love you to take ownership over could be:
- improvements to tax management stack, streamlining payroll migration process, and, thinking about how to scale our services + infrastructure to handle large enterprise customers
- Our engineering team is super into Typescript and we're built on React/Redux, Node, MongoDB, and AWS and all split up into microservices. Locally we use yarn 3, esbuild.
- This role focuses 80-90% on building and coding in our codebase, but there will be opportunities to mentor and give input to other aspects of the business since we are a small and flat organization
- You will get to work directly with our founders and other heads of departments from Stripe, Square, Microsoft, Apple, Brex, and others... which will only increase your business acumen and provide lots of opportunities to get closer to our product vision and strengthen our team's cross-department collaboration
- Work with a team of 10-15 engineers from Microsoft, Apple, Intuit, Namely, Blend, and other cool start-ups who will advocate and champion your success in a collaborative environment
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience
- You've built products end-to-end, working closely with product and design teams
- You are a commiserative developer and value working in a diverse and collaborative environment
OUR INTERVIEW PROCESS
Step 1: ✋ Chat with our recruiter - Grace - 30 mins
Step 2: 💬 Chat with our CTO - Pranab - 30 mins
Step 3: 💵 Paid Take-Home Assignment - 3-4 hours
Step 4: 💻 Final Interview - 2.5 hours
Final Interview Details: Review assignment with CTO and another Engineer, have a coffee chat with someone, and a final call with someone from leadership to learn more about the vision and mission of Zeal
We are a tight-knit, inclusive community that is into: music 🎵, cocktails 🍹, pets 🐈🐕, ping-pong 🏓 and above all else ~ high quality espresso ☕ but more importantly we value championing for our staff to bring their authentic true selves to work and aim to provide a fun and collaborative work environment for everyone!
- 🩺 100% health coverage premium paid by the company; vision, dental
- 💸 Generous salary and equity for all staff
- 💳 Monthly benefits stipend to use for lunch, commuting, and other essentials
- 👩🏽💻 At-home office setup stipend
- 📸 Free professional headshot for your LinkedIn
- 🍿 🍹 Free snacks and drinks and Friday happy hours
- 🦓 Awesome Swag
If you have any questions about the role, our process, or anything else before applying, feel free to reach out to me at email@example.com
Our company (Puzzl Group, aka Zeal) is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.