We’re an online doctor service and currently one of the largest digital healthcare players in Europe offering fast, convenient and reliable access to medical advice, testing and treatment. Since 2011 we’ve provided 4 million paid consultations to patients across Germany, France, UK and Ireland but we want to do more. We want to break down barriers to health and provide accessible, dependable healthcare to even more patients. That means finding smart, curious people to help us significantly expand our services and patient offering as well as exploring how to support statutory healthcare systems.
About the role:
We’re looking for an enthusiastic Android Engineer who cares about technical excellence and wants to build useful mobile applications that make a real difference to the lives of others.
What can you expect from working with us?
- Opportunity to drive our technological direction - We have started building our future platform but still have lots of systems to design, build and operate. We want you to push the boundaries, try new things and take responsibility for big ideas.
- Chance to influence the future of healthcare - It is through technology that Zava has been able to make efficiency gains in the healthcare sector. To continue pushing boundaries and expand the company, our technology needs to evolve and grow and you will play a significant role in deciding what we do next.
- Agile, cross-functional working - We work in autonomous teams comprising of Product Owner, UI / UX Designers, QA, Front and Back-end Engineers. Depending on the mission, we also embed or collaborate with others from across the business such as Infrastructure Engineers, Data Analysts, Clinical, Marketing and Legal.
- Competitive salary, flexible working and other benefits - aside from salary we offer a company-wide bonus scheme, training budget, 10% R&D and learning time and flexible working (working pattern can be discussed). Our brand new, central London office has excellent transport links should you need to attend, but we are a remote first company
Day-to-day the work will encompass:
- Hands-on development of our healthcare applications -You will be involved in the design, implementation, testing and enhancement of both new and existing mobile applications, deploying changes in small iterative releases to quickly add value to our patients, doctors and partners. Recent projects include our new video consultation app, which has launched in Germany.
- Close collaboration in a cross functional team - Not only will you be a part of our close knit engineering department but you’ll also play an active role in one of our product teams, influencing the roadmap and projects that the team works on. Alongside your peers, you’ll help identify opportunities (technical and otherwise), discuss priorities, make decisions, design solutions and remove blockers. You’ll get a thorough understanding of an entire feature and how your work contributes to the overall delivery.
- Excellence and quality - You care about technical excellence and will ensure your code is of high quality standard, tested (unit, integration, end-to-end) and monitored. You will also offer constructive feedback to other engineers and be open to receive feedback yourself.
- Innovation - You will keep yourself up-to-date on software technology trends considering opportunities to utilise within Zava’s technology landscape.
For this role you will need:
- Strong background in using Kotlin (our Android mobile projects are built 100% in Kotlin)
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively collaborate within an Agile environment (we use Kanban)
- The ability to develop and design applications and services e.g. RESTful API development
- Problem solving skills (debugging, analysis, instrumentation)
- An understanding and appreciation for programming best practices
- The ability to make good, informed decisions around technical debt and tradeoffs and also recognise when solutions need a different approach / when to ask for help.
Primarily we are interested in meeting great engineers who enjoy working in a collaborative environment and have an openness to learn. While not essential, any experience with the following will help you get up to speed at Zava:
- Jetpack components
- Unit & UI testing frameworks
- Code versioning tools (we use Github)
- Developing apps for the cloud. We use Amazon Web Services
- Experience bringing apps to market on Google Play
- CI/CD tools
- Monitoring tools e.g. Newrelic