We’re an online doctor service and currently one of the largest digital healthcare players in Europe offering fast, convenient and reliable access to medical advice, testing and treatment. Since 2011 we’ve provided 4 million paid consultations to patients across Germany, France, UK and Ireland but we want to do more. We want to break down barriers to health and provide accessible, dependable healthcare to even more patients. That means finding smart, curious people to help us significantly expand our services and patient offering as well as exploring how to support statutory healthcare systems.
About the role
We’re looking for an enthusiastic Back-end Engineer with a passion to build scalable, performant products that will make a genuine difference to the lives of others.
What can you expect from working with us?
- Chance to influence the future of healthcare - It is through technology that Zava has been able to make efficiency gains in the healthcare sector. To continue with this innovation and to ensure business growth, you will have the opportunity to recommend how our technology should evolve.
- Opportunity to drive our technological direction - We have started building our future platform but still have lots of systems to design, build and operate. This means there’s loads of opportunity for you to push the boundaries and try new things.
- Adaptability - We apply a composable approach to system design. It allows us to experiment with different solutions, connecting various parts of our system in different ways to unlock new functionalities. This approach also means we can make each part of our system easily and safely modifiable.
- Agile, cross-functional working - We work in autonomous teams consisting of Product Owner, UI / UX Designers, QA, Front and Back-end Engineers. Depending on the mission, we also embed or collaborate with others from across the business such as Infrastructure Engineers, Data Analysts, Clinical, Marketing and Legal.
- Competitive salary, flexible working and other benefits - aside from salary we offer a company-wide bonus scheme, training budget, 10% of time for R&D and personal learning and flexible working (working pattern can be discussed). Our brand new, central London office has excellent transport links and every day we get free breakfast, fresh fruit and hot drinks, including amazing coffee served by our friendly barista. We’re also a dog friendly office.
Day-to-day the work will encompass:
- Hands-on development of our healthcare applications and services - We embrace a microservice architecture approach that allows us to deploy and compose functionality to meet the changing needs of our business. You will be involved in design, implementation and enhancement of both new and existing services, deploying changes in small iterative releases to quickly add value to our patients, doctors and partners. Recent projects have included; qualifying patient identities, optimising patient data collection to enhance doctor assessment, integration with 3rd party services to support prescription processing / fulfilment and replacing core platform functions with cloud based solutions.
- Close collaboration in a cross functional team - Not only will you be a part of our close knit engineering department but you’ll also play an active role in one of our product teams, influencing the roadmap and projects that the team works on. Alongside your peers, you’ll help identify opportunities (technical and otherwise), discuss priorities, make decisions, design solutions and remove blockers. You’ll get a thorough understanding of an entire feature and how your work contributes to the overall delivery.
- Excellence and quality - You care about technical excellence and will ensure your code is of high quality standard, tested (unit, integration, end-to-end) and monitored. You will also offer constructive feedback to other engineers and be open to receive feedback yourself.
- Innovation - You will keep yourself up-to-date on software technology trends considering opportunities to utilise within Zava’s technology landscape.
For this role you will need:
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively collaborate within an Agile environment (we use Kanban)
- The ability to develop and design applications and services e.g. RESTful API development
- Problem solving skills (debugging, analysis, instrumentation)
- An understanding and appreciation for programming best practices
- The ability to make good, informed decisions around technical debt and tradeoffs and also recognise when solutions need a different approach / when to ask for help.
- Amazon Web Services experience
Primarily we are interested in meeting great engineers who enjoy working in a collaborative environment and have an openness to learn. While not essential, any experience with the following will help you get up to speed at Zava:
- Service and API development in either GoLang, PHP or NodeJs.
- Code versioning tools (we use Github)
- CI tools (Jenkins preferably)
- Monitoring tools e.g. Newrelic, Kibana, etc
- Persistence using relational and non-relational databases (we use MySQL and DynamoDB)