We're on a mission to provide our patients with healthcare that is accessible and dependable, at a fraction of today's cost. By creating a safe, efficient and convenient approach to healthcare we’ve already provided over 6 million consultations across the UK, Germany, France, and Ireland.
Our team of Doctors, Engineers, Customer Support Advisors, Marketers, Product Managers, UX Designers, Pharmacists, Commercial & Operations Specialists all work collaboratively to build a digital healthcare platform that enables our patients to find the right healthcare quickly, effectively, and discreetly so they can do more of what matters to them.
At the end of 2020, we secured a second round of investment and completed two exciting acquisitions in Germany. We're a scaleup company with ambitious growth plans.
We’re here because we care about healthcare and we plan to be Europe’s biggest digital healthcare provider by 2025.
About the role:
Your primary responsibility is to provide strong technical leadership and line management to a group of mobile engineers who are driving the future of primary healthcare by connecting patients and doctors through mobile applications.
If you are looking to embrace disruption in the healthcare industry, ZAVA provides a unique environment where the Doctors, the Clinical team, and the Pharmacists will work closely with you to build the future digital clinics experience.
- Opportunity to drive our technological direction - We have started building the healthcare platform of the future but still have lots of systems to design, build and operate. You will play a key role in deciding when and how to build new capabilities and you will take responsibility for big ideas and help shape the team to deliver them.
- Chance to influence the future of healthcare - Our mobile applications are still a relatively new service for ZAVA and our patients. Although we see some amazing traction already, we see ourselves very early in the product lifecycle. We are learning exceptionally quickly and have a genuinely exciting path ahead of us to shape groundbreaking digital healthcare experiences.
- Adaptability - We apply a composable approach to system design. It allows us to experiment with different solutions, connecting various parts of our apps and systems in different ways to unlock new functionalities. This approach also means we can ensure each component in the system is easily and safely modifiable.
- Agile, cross-functional working - We work in autonomous teams composed of Product Owners, UI / UX Designers, QA, Front and Back End Engineers. Depending on various initiatives we also embed or collaborate with others from across the business such as Infrastructure Engineers, Data Analysts, Clinical, Marketing and Legal.
Day-to-day the work will encompass:
- Encouraging best ways of working - Advise and helping your squad members to develop their career, technical and personal skills through regular 1:1, reviews and feedback. Seek inputs from outside the squad to help their progress. Input into capacity and organisation planning and play a key part in your squad’s makeup through active involvement in recruitment.
- Communicating targets and goals - Help the team align their targets to the wider strategy and ensure expectations are clearly understood by all. Take ownership and accountability of targets and encourage this behavior across the squad.
- Driving excellence and quality - Be a role model team member, lead by example on quality, best practices and technical standards across all stages of the software delivery process.
- Hands-on development - Oversee development ensuring team members follow guidelines and standards. Get hands-on and develop alongside your squad and participate in code reviews. We expect you to have a natural strength towards either the Android or iOS side, but the ability to participate in discussions and reviews across both platforms is highly desirable.
- Implementing new ideas and inspiring others - Encourage an innovation mindset within the squad through creative solutions and enthusiastic problem-solving. Help build trust within your squad and develop their confidence to collaborate frequently with stakeholders and teams across the business.
Experience and qualifications:
- Strong technical background in either native Android or iOS development (Kotlin and/or Swift)
- Experience using native frameworks to enhance development and testing (e.g Jetpack Compose/SwiftUI, RxJava/RxSwift/Combine, Espresso/Quick+Nimble etc.)
- Line management and mentorship
- Developing and maintaining software delivery pipelines
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively collaborate within an Agile environment (we use Kanban)
- Design and development of applications and services taking into consideration operational support, security, reliability, performance and cost
- Problem-solving skills (debugging, analysis, instrumentation)
- RESTful API development and consumption
- CI tools (we use Jenkins)
Line Manager: Engineering Manager
- Hiring Manager Screening call
- Technical Interview
- Panel Interview
Benefits from the day you join:
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays + Birthday day off
- Healthcare cash back plan through SimplyHealth
- Access to SimplyHealth advice, counselling and corporate discounts
- Free access to all services on the ZAVA website
- Membership to Headspace (mindfulness application)
- Remote flexible working
- Macbook Pro
- Modern office with breakfast, hot drinks, bike storage and shower facilities
- Dog friendly office
Additional benefits following probation period:
- £500 training budget per year (after 3 months)
- Company sabbatical after 2 years
- Opportunity to work from overseas for 2 months each year
- Opportunity to relocate to one of our global offices (dependent upon meeting eligibility criteria)
- Enrolled on discretionary company bonus scheme
Core working hours
Our core business hours are 9am - 6pm, although flexible working arrangements are available upon agreement with your line manager.