We're looking for an Engineering Director to join the Engineering team at Zapier. Zapier’s on a mission to make everyone more productive at work. Over 3 million professionals already use Zapier to save more time, but there are millions more to reach.
In this role, you will be responsible for leading the engineering organization developing and owning the customer experience of our Workflows product, which is the heart of Zapier. You will work closely with your managers, peers, and executives to staff teams and execute on a multifaceted product strategy.
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. Hopefully, you'll take the leap of faith and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Even though our job description may seem like we're looking for a specific candidate, the role inevitably ends up tailored to the person who applies and joins. Regardless of how well you feel you fit our description, we encourage you to apply if you meet these criteria:
You’ve managed and scaled engineering organizations. You’re a skilled and experienced engineering leader who has built teams working on SaaS-based products with modern tech stacks. You’ve led teams of managers, managers of managers, and technical leaders and helped each team be successful.
You understand product development. You are experienced in understanding the complexities and nuances of product development, including the business and engineering implications of product decisions. You’ve driven the complex and challenging tradeoffs between speed, cost, and functionality when building products in one or more fast-moving companies. You have deep experience in managing complex projects with a variety of agile development and industry best practices at your disposal.
You are customer-focused. You have a track record of deeply understanding customers and markets. You have a passion for building products that delight customers and make their jobs easier and more productive.
You can develop and sell a strategy to your team. You have a good sense of vision and strategy, you’re able to communicate it to your teams and stakeholders, and you can translate that strategy into execution. You partner closely with product management, design, marketing, and the support organizations to drive and achieve business outcomes.
You are a skilled mentor, coach, and engineering leader. You have a passion and a track record of mentoring engineers and leaders while at the same time growing your own skills. You've introduced and broadened engineering practices and enhanced engineering cultures. You’ve led engineering teams through complex technical and architectural decisions by providing strategic guidance.
You're a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You'll use written summaries and reports to communicate vision, strategy, plans, findings, and results to the engineering and full Zapier team.
You're a champion for doing things efficiently. At Zapier, the work you do will have a disproportionate impact on the business. We believe in systems and processes that let us scale our impact to be larger than ourselves.
Things You’ll Do
- Hire and retain engineers and engineering leaders for your teams.
- Coach, mentor, and grow senior engineering leadership.
- Collaborate closely with your product and design leadership peers to set the product direction and vision for Zapier’s flagship product, Workflows.
- Own the execution of the Workflows product vision.
- Collaborate with engineering and product leaders to influence changes to the Zapier platform and primitives to support Workflows needs.
- Ensure engineering excellence throughout your teams including following agile development practices, engineering and architecture best practices, and the Zapier system design principles.
- Communicate regularly and effectively throughout our distributed organization.
- As a part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best possible experience with Zapier.
Zapier helps people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: AMER, EMEA
Our distributed environment lets us work with the best people. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary
- Healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Meaningful and customized Zapiversary rewards on your 1, 3, 5, 7 and 10 year work anniversaries.
- Your own equipment. We'll set you up with an Apple laptop and provide an additional budget for you to choose other home office accessories and software you may need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year.
- Travel of 5% - 10% for company retreats which rotate to various cities throughout North America. We will resume retreats when it’s safe to travel again. Retreats typically take place twice a year as a company, once a year as a team. All expenses paid (flights, meals, transportation, etc.).
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to UK, Canada, and US-based employees.
How to Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please make sure to answer each question.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.