At Yugabyte, we are on a mission to become the default transactional database for the cloud. We are well underway on this journey with YugabyteDB, the open source, high-performance, distributed SQL database that runs on any cloud and enables developers to get instantly productive using well-known APIs. We are looking for talented and driven people to join us on our ambitious mission and help us build a lasting and impactful company.
We announced a $188M Series C round at a $1.3B valuation in October 2021, however we very much believe we are still in the early stages of our company’s journey. The transactional database market is estimated to grow from $40B in 2021 to $64B by 2025. Given our database is cloud-native by design, has on-demand horizontal scalability, and allows for geographical distribution of data using built-in replication, we are extremely well-positioned to address the market need for geo-distributed, high-scale, high-performance wordloads.
We are looking for an experienced Solutions Engineer to join our team. You will be working with prospects and customers that are major corporations in the EMEA region, helping them through product evaluation and eventually into production.
As a company we are predominantly home based however we have regular meetings in our offices in Woking and are increasingly being asked back into our customers’ offices, usually in London. Occasionally, we travel to other EMEA locations (e.g. Amsterdam, Barcelona, etc.) as such, you should be based in the southeast of the United Kingdom or be able to travel there easily and regularly with occasional overnight stays.
Role and Responsibilities
We don’t expect you to know everything, we all learn every day, but you will have significant skills in a number of these areas:
- Modern Databases - one or more of PostgreSQL, AWS (RDS, Aurora, DynamoDB), Google (Cloud SQL, AlloyDB, Spanner), Azure (SQL, Hyperscale, CosmosDB), Cassandra, MongoDB, CockroachDB
- Monolithic Databases - Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, IBM DB2
- Modern solution eco-system components (Kafka, Spark, etc.)
- Linux - we use multiple flavours
- Infrastructure - AWS, GCP or Azure, Virtual Machines & Kubernetes
- Modern Enterprise Tooling - Service Mesh, Observability Tooling, Infrastructure as Code, CI/CD Pipelines, GitHub
- Modern development practices, such as Agile
- Enterprise architecture and application architectures
Your commercial skills
You will have commercial experience supporting sales teams - usually in a SE-type role; this will include
- Handling the first technical meeting with the prospect.
- You will be able to help qualify opportunities
- Over time, prospects will see you as a trusted technical advisor
- You will have some customer-side experience that you can bring to the table
- Using this experience, you can explain the potential benefits of the technology to a client
- You will better understand Yugabyte’s existing client use-case studies to highlight salient benefits and capabilities during prospect or partner discussions
- You will shape and drive technical engagements (e.g. POCs) to deliver the “technical win” for Yugabyte while delighting the client with your organisational skills and subject-matter expertise & understanding
Your communication skills
Helping customers is a team game. We work with multiple prospects and customers at any given time and coordinate work with our support, training, engineering and marketing teams. Good, clear communication and timely information sharing is the key to success.
- We want to be face-to-face with our clients where possible
- Our primary communication tool is Slack
- We use collaborative tools from the Google Suite
- We use Coda.io
- We prefer Zoom, but we also do video calls on Teams and Google Meet
- We always put our code in GitHub
- We also use Salesforce, ZenDesk, Jira, and other standard business tools