Would you like to join a fun and fast growing FinTech company where you can play an important part in shaping its future? How about an opportunity to design next-generation systems in a highly collaborative work environment, where space for professional development is taken very seriously? Did we hear a big YES? Excellent - keep reading!
Yoyo is proud to be a market leader in the payment, loyalty and customer engagement space. Our focus is on high street retail and catering sectors where we are live in over 70 UK Universities, 600 Corporate locations and 800 retailer locations including Caffe Nero and Planet Organic. Exciting days lie ahead for the Yoyo team as we scale, and we would love you to be part of our journey.
From day one, you’ll be rolling up your sleeves and working closely across teams to power the Yoyo Wallet. Our product comprises of iOS and Android apps that talk to a suite of APIs powered by the Yoyo platform. We use a service-oriented architecture to support real-time, high-volume transactions that consistently deliver sub-one-second response times at the point-of-sale.
You’ll be working with a backend stack to include, but is not limited to: Python, Django, Event messaging and RESTful APIs, Services Oriented Architecture, PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, RabbitMQ, Celery, Puppet, Fabric, Docker, CircleCI / Continuous Deployment via ChatOps, and is hosted on AWS.
This career opportunity promises to be varied and paced from the get go. Responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the design of our next-generation systems
- Writing Python code which is reusable, testable and efficient
- Collaborating with a cross-functional team of other engineers and product managers to plan and estimate the team’s work in a Sprint-Kanban hybrid workflow
- Working in a fast-moving but stable environment in a continuous deployment workflow - testing and QA is very much a part of your role
- Contributing in planning sessions and retrospectives, including your own 20% personal development time
- Mentoring junior developers
What we are looking for in our next teammate:
Computer Science degree or similar desired
- Experience working in startup or other entrepreneurial organisation in a role such as Backend Platform Engineer, Platform Engineer, Software Engineer, Full Stack Developer, Full Stack Engineer, Software Development Engineer or similar
- Experience working with Python in an academic or professional setting. Or if you are an experienced coder with, say, Ruby, or Scala who is happy to learn and use Python then we are still more than happy to consider
- Experience with technologies and processes that we use - i.e. Django, PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, RabbitMQ, Nginx, Celery, Puppet, Fabric, Docker, AWS, TDD, GoCD, etc.
- Experience building and maintaining real-world products using continuous integration/deployment to enable engineers to deploy code and configuration from local environments through to production
- Experience building and maintaining APIs via RESTful web services
- A track-record of creating and maintaining automated tests to build high-quality software (unit, acceptance and UI tests)
- Previous exposure of mobile payment or mobile apps is an asset
- Coaching and mentoring experience is desired but not essential.
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong attention to detail
- Customer-centric - a deep understanding of what would benefit our users most
- Personable, enthusiastic and articulate
- Propensity to iterate on products in weekly cycles - a bias for action
- A positive entrepreneurial outlook with the ability to be flexible in our changing environment
- A passion for programming and software engineering by either blogging or attending coding conferences or meet-ups; a big plus if you've contributed to open-source software.
- Able to handle ambiguity
- A self-starter - able to use initiative and deliver results
- Highly collaborative - able to work successfully across teams
- Logical and strong problem solving skills
What you’ll get in return
Working as part of an early stages company is challenging. It’s not all ping pong tables and free beer…..well sometimes it is! What you are willing to put into growing the company will determine not only our success, but yours. If you are ready for this challenge then we promise:
- Competitive Salary with health insurance and pension scheme
- All the equipment necessary to make sure you are able to do your role effectively
- Monthly credit to your Yoyo Wallet account
- Work in a collaborative, flexible, open-minded and flat organisation
- Work on challenging real-world problems that you can take ownership of
- Build something today and see it in people’s hands tomorrow
- Great central London location and an AWESOME team!
Closing date: Open through 2018 and 2019