New datasets are being created every day and investors need to incorporate them to remain competitive.
YipitData is the go-to, 200+ person data team for hundreds of the largest institutional investors and corporations in the world. We identify, screen, license, clean, and analyze alternative data to help clients answer their key questions.
We have amazing reviews (and a 5-star rating!) on Glassdoor and are one of Inc’s Best Workplaces - a fast-growing technology company based in NYC, backed by Norwest Venture Partners and with a strong culture focused on mastery, ownership, and purpose.
This is a remote-friendly opportunity that can sit in NYC (where our headquarter is located), or anywhere in the US (we expect Eastern work hours).
About the Engineering Department:
We want to be the best in the world at using data to answer questions, and we're committed to building scalable systems for ingesting, analyzing, and creating value from data.
We are proud to run a small and efficient engineering department (under 30 people). Our teams are usually 3-5 engineers and multifunctional. We want every team to focus on what's most important to them, so we invest heavily on standardization, building development tools, and peer-to-peer training to maximize our engineers' impact. Our AWS infrastructure is defined as code (IaC) using AWS CloudFormation and our apps run on AWS ECS on top of our in-house PaaS. We use CircleCI for CI/CD, host all code on Github, do blameless post-mortems, have healthy business-hours support rotations, we like to automate boring tasks, and different teams use different observability strategies.
We're proud of our engineering culture, offer a good work/life balance, and we have a very high employee retention rate—our average engineer tenure is 4+ years. Check out some of our work at https://medium.com/yipitdata-engineering
About the Role:
We're looking for a senior engineer with experience in Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) and DevOps practices to add to our engineering culture. As the first member of our SRE team, your mission is to support other engineering teams in building and operating systems sustainably with appropriate reliability. We need somebody with empathy to partner with our teams and share the ownership of building systems and operating them in production.
Our Infrastructure department has three teams that work closely to enable other engineering teams to deliver the best solutions as efficiently as possible to our clients:
- Infra & Tools: develop our infrastructure platform and development tools
- Security: risk mitigation, security response, and security prevention
- SRE (new): support engineering teams in building and operating systems sustainably with appropriate reliability
As a Senior Software Engineer 1 - SRE, you will:
- Help engineering teams build & maintain infrastructure solutions
- Help teams operate their systems in production sustainably
- Enable teams to understand their systems' reliability
- Consistently work on systems' reliability, resiliency, efficiency, and observability of your assigned teams to reach the appropriate levels of sustainability
- Work with other infrastructure teams to design and implement effective processes and tools for engineering teams
- Help us build a small team of SREs
You're likely to succeed if you have:
- 2+ years of experience in SRE or DevOps
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer, SRE, or DevOps
- Experience with Cloud infrastructure (we use AWS)
- Interest in mentoring other engineers
- Clear written and verbal communication
- Ability to collaborate with engineering teams to improve their systems the way they need it
- Nice to have: experience building a team of SREs or DevOps
- Nice to have: proficiency in Python
What We Offer:
- Our compensation package includes equity and a highly competitive salary.
- We care about your personal life and we mean it. We offer flexible work hours, unlimited vacation, a generous 401K match, parental leave, team events, wellness budget, learning reimbursement, and more!
- Your growth at YipitData is determined by the impact that you are making, not by tenure, unnecessary facetime, or office politics. Everyone at YipitData is empowered to learn, self-improve, and master their skills in an environment focused on ownership, respect, and trust.
- To learn more about our culture and values, check out our Glassdoor page!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.