New datasets are being created every day and investors need to incorporate them to remain competitive.
YipitData is the go-to, 170+ person data team for hundreds of the largest institutional investors and corporations in the world. We identify, screen, license, clean, and analyze alternative data to help clients answer their key questions.
We have amazing reviews (and a 5.0 rating!) on Glassdoor and are one of Inc’s Best Workplaces - a fast-growing technology company based in NYC, backed by Norwest Venture Partners and with a strong culture focused on mastery, ownership, and purpose.
About the Engineering Department:
We want to be the best in the world at using data to answer questions, and we're committed to building scalable systems for ingesting, analyzing, and creating value from data.
We are proud to run a small and efficient engineering department (21 people). Our teams are usually 3-5 engineers and multifunctional. We invest heavily in standardization, building development tools, and peer-to-peer training to maximize our engineers' impact and let them focus on what is most important to their teams. We offer the flexibility to switch teams based on your career aspirations, a career ladder with growth opportunities, good work/life balance, and we have a very high employee retention rate (our average engineer tenure is 5 years).
About The Role:
We're looking for a backend software engineer to join our Data Engineering team.
Our team is responsible for the data lake and analytics platform that support the data needs of all departments across YipitData. Data Engineering creates infrastructure, tooling, and training to support data ingestion pipelines from our various data partners, as well as all downstream analyses across many types of users and use cases.
Our primary stakeholders include research and data analysts, who use our platform to create data-driven equity research for our investor clients, as well as data consultants that create data products for our corporate clients. We also support and collaborate with Finance and other Operations teams, who use our data platform for business analytics.
This is a remote-friendly opportunity that can be based in NYC, where our headquarters is located, or anywhere in the US (we expect Eastern work hours).
As a Software Engineer II you will:
- Work closely with the Data Engineering tech lead and product manager to build and release solutions
- Develop large-scale analytics and data processing systems
- Architect solutions that will scale as the company continues to grow
- Maintain a code quality that sets an example for others
- Design and implement best-in-class ELT patterns for stakeholders
- Write documentation, be available for advice, and help drive the adoption of data technologies and best practices
As long as you’ve worked with modern data tools, we’re positive that you will learn our technology stack:
- Amazon Web Services (S3, Glue, SQS, Kinesis, Athena, and many more services)
- Spark (primarily PySpark on Databricks)
- Airflow, Django, and other Python libraries
You Are Likely To Succeed If:
- You have 1-3+ years of experience as a software engineer or data engineer
- You are comfortable working with large-scale datasets (ideally with PySpark or Pandas)
- Nice to have: experience with Databricks, Airflow, AWS CDK, SQL, Tableau, or Django
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills
- You can develop new features and bugs fixes with minimal oversight
- You are curious and learn quickly
- You are interested in creating tools to improve the efficiency of other roles
- You enjoy working collaboratively in and supporting a small team
What We Offer:
- Our compensation package includes equity and a highly competitive salary.
- We care about your personal life. We offer flexible work hours, open vacation policy, a generous 401K match, parental leave, team events, wellness budget, learning reimbursement, and more.
- Your growth at YipitData is determined by the impact that you are making, not by tenure, unnecessary facetime, or office politics. Everyone at YipitData is empowered to learn, self-improve, and master their skills in an environment focused on ownership, respect, and trust.
- To learn more about our culture and values, check out our Glassdoor page.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.