New datasets are being created every day and corporations need to incorporate them to remain competitive.
YipitData is the go-to, 100+ person data team for the world’s largest corporations, hedge funds, and venture capital funds. We identify, screen, license, clean, and analyze alternative data to help our clients answer their key questions.
We're one of Inc’s Best Workplaces - a fast-growing technology company based in NYC, with a strong culture focused on mastery, ownership, and purpose.
About the Role:
Are you a motivated, collaborative, solutions-oriented attorney looking for a new role in a fast-paced financial tech company? Joining YipitData’s legal team is a rare opportunity to become a core contributor to the success of a company that is building the future of investment research.
At YipitData, our legal team is an essential partner in the company’s growth. As our Product & Privacy Counsel, you’ll have an opportunity to advise teams across our business on a wide range of product and privacy matters. You will help develop and scale YipitData’s licensing and data sourcing strategy. Among others, this position will require expertise in domestic and international privacy laws that impact our products and business operations. And as a member of the lean legal team at a dynamic and fast-growing company, you’ll have ample opportunity to work on a variety of unique product and privacy matters as well as other legal issues while partnering with teams across the company.
In this role, you will:
- Assist in the development, implementation of YipitData’s data sourcing, compliance and product development programs in accordance with applicable laws and regulations, including major privacy laws such as the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Draft and negotiate data licenses and other partnership agreements with key strategic vendors that are critical to our business;
- Provide advice to our strategic partnerships and product teams during the development lifecycle to minimize legal risks, ensure compliance with applicable laws, and advance business goals.
- Drive awareness on data privacy and security issues, including development of training and guidelines that help business stakeholders spot and address data protection and privacy issues as they emerge in development of new products and technologies.
- Build and enhance the legal team’s processes, efficiency, compliance framework and best practices.
To succeed as our Product and Privacy Counsel:
- You have 3-6 years of legal experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department (preferred), with a focus on technology transactions and/or privacy and data protection issues. CIPP certification strongly preferred.
- You have exceptional communication and stakeholder management skills and can convey complex concepts in simple terms;
- You are very comfortable engaging on technical topics with product and engineering teams;
- You are passionate about data privacy and stay current on all relevant global developments;
- You have very strong research skills and a history of mastering a topic when advising on it;
- You are excited by navigating complicated and novel legal concepts and issues;
- You have active membership in good standing with the NY state bar and/or have the ability to practice in New York state as an in-house attorney and a J.D. or LLM from a top U.S. law school
This is an exciting opportunity for a top law firm associate or experienced attorney at a high-growth company with strong communication skills and impeccable judgment.
What We Offer :
- Our compensation package includes equity and highly competitive salary
- We care about your personal life and we actually mean it. We offer flexible work hours, unlimited vacation, a generous 401K match, parental leave, team events, a wellness budget, learning reimbursement, and more!
- Your growth at YipitData is determined by the impact that you are making, not by tenure, unnecessary facetime, or office politics. Everyone at YipitData is empowered to learn, self-improve, and master their skills in an environment focused on ownership, respect, and trust.
- To learn more about our culture and values, check out our Glassdoor page!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.