Yext (NYSE: YEXT) helps organizations answer every question about their business. Yext's Answers Platform collects and organizes content into a Knowledge Graph, then leverages a complementary set of products — including Listings, Pages, Reviews, and Search — to deliver relevant, actionable answers wherever customers, employees, and partners look for information. For over 15 years, thousands of companies worldwide have trusted Yext to create seamless content-driven experiences at scale across search engines, websites, mobile apps, and hundreds of other digital touchpoints. Learn more at yext.com.
Yext makes software and tools to improve everyone’s experience on the internet by providing perfect answers everywhere. Our clients trust us to use natural language processing (NLP) and machine learning (ML) to deliver correct information to end users everywhere.
As a Research Scientist you will solve challenging problems in natural language processing, machine learning, knowledge graphs, and information Retrieval. Your solutions will be essential to building new capabilities and features for Yext’s products. We manage large amounts of structured master data on behalf of some of the world’s largest companies and collect transactional data through end-user-facing applications we host directly for these clients.
Yext clients cover a tremendous breadth of industries. We are seeking scientists excited to discover opportunities in data across a wide variety of business domains. You will work collaboratively with cross-team partners in software engineering, product management, and strategy. This approach will allow you to participate fully in the product development lifecycle and make pragmatic decisions about the design, training, and deployment of machine learning models driving key product features.
What You'll Do
- Develop innovative solutions to challenging problems in natural language processing, information retrieval, knowledge graphs and machine learning
- Effectively communicate quantitative results in a timely manner (you will be responsible for producing exceptional written and visual documentation, including publications)
- Write high quality Python code (we use PyTorch and Transformers in many places)
- Mentor junior team members, provide technical leadership and execution guidance
- Exercise excellent technical judgment and prioritization around complexity, completeness, details and risks
- Communicate research concepts and conclusions to a variety of audiences (product managers, software engineers, executives, sales partners)
What You Have
- Advanced degree in a quantitative discipline, e.g., computer science, mathematics, physics, statistics, applied mathematics, economics, informatics, cybernetics, bioinformatics or operations research
- 5+ years of quantitative/research experience, track record of effective problem solving
- Knowledge of Machine Learning concepts, algorithms and current state of the art (supervised and unsupervised approaches)
- Autodidactic, self directed – you are able to dive into a new unfamiliar problem domain and learn quickly in the face of adversity – you are comfortable with uncertainty and project evolution
- Highly developed communication skills (writing and figures)
- Experience leading cross-functional agile work streams and scaling data-driven initiatives
- Multi-tasking, project management, and leadership skills.
- Track record of impactful publications
- Experience in TensorFlow or PyTorch, and state-of-the-art transformer/NLP models and techniques (e.g. FastText, BERT, et al.)
- NLP experience, especially with sentence embeddings
- Very experienced in Snowflake and MySQL (or other databases).
- Excellent ability to solve "glue" problems (e.g. shell scripting, python environment setup, efficient programming practices)
- Experience with common quantitative analysis and ML packages (in Python or R) such as Pandas, Matplotlib, ggplot, scikit-learn and scipy
- Experience with JVM languages (Java, Scala) a plus. GoLang or C++ also great!
- Experience with AWS, Linux and Mac environments
- Knowledge of statistics and good experimental practices (e.g. how to run a powerful A/B test and test for significance)
- Deep Knowledge of techniques in both supervised ML, unsupervised ML, information retrieval and data mining (e.g. DBSCAN, k-Means, indexes). Deep knowledge of a specific subfield within one of these research areas.
The base salary at the time of hire for this position is expected to be between $149,850 - $249,500. Pay ranges at Yext are established based on an analysis of salaries for positions with a similar level of accountability and impact in the relevant labor market. Salary levels are expected to change to reflect an employee’s job performance (results and impact) over time. Salaries at the time of hire are typically offered in the lower to middle of the above-referenced range in order to provide the opportunity to reflect performance-based increases over time. In addition to base salaries, employees at Yext are typically eligible for a comprehensive package of benefits, and successful candidates may also be eligible for equity (stock) based compensation and/or variable pay programs based on performance relative to goals and targets.
Yext is committed to building an inclusive and diverse culture where every person is seen, heard and valued. We believe in equal employment opportunity and welcome employees and applicants of all races, colors, ethnicities, religions, creeds, national origins, ancestries, genetics, sexes, pregnancy or childbirth, sexual orientations, genders (including gender identity or nonbinary or nonconformity and/or status as a trans individual), ages, physical or mental disabilities, citizenships, marital, parental and/or familial status, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. It is Yext’s policy to provide reasonable accommodations to people with disabilities as required by law. If you have a disability that requires an accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or participating in the employee selection process, please complete this form.