Meet one of your future colleagues!
Xwing is on a mission to build the world’s smartest, cleanest and most advanced aviation system. We're transforming the way airplanes fly— so regional air mobility will be radically safer, more efficient, more accessible and more sustainable than it’s ever been.
Our work begins with converting today’s cargo aircraft into remotely-operated self-flying airplanes so every regional route can be serviced frequently and reliably— so every person in every corner of the world can have improved access to all the goods and supplies that are essential and important to them. Beyond the cargo market, we plan to expand our technology safely and scalably to other areas of commercial aviation.
Founded in 2016, Xwing is an aviation technology company based in Northern California with offices in San Francisco and Concord, CA. Xwing was recently named Fast Company’s Top Most Innovative Transportation Companies and featured in TIME Magazine’s Best Inventions List of 2021 after completing the world’s first automated cargo demonstration flight.
Backed by strategic investors, Xwing has raised over $57 million in venture funding to date, and is partnering closely with the Federal Aviation Administration towards becoming FAA-certified.
Follow our journey towards building a smarter, cleaner and better aviation system for all. Visit xwing.com to learn more, and see all available positions under “Careers” to join our rapidly growing team.
Who We're Looking For:
Xwing is seeking an experienced engineer to lead the design and implementation of our communications management systems, on both prototype and certifiable autonomous aircraft. You will be joining a world-class engineering team in autonomous transportation and aerospace.
You will be in charge of building a data link solution that connects our mission control centers and the fleet of autonomous aircraft.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Oversee a multidisciplinary team to deliver a certifiable system
- Manage project scope and timeline
- Work with the certification team to identify relevant FAA and FCC regulations
- Create the architecture for our command and control datalinks, this could include terrestrial networks, satellite based links, and backend networking
- Source data link solutions and establish/maintain relationships with vendors
- Manage data transfer and interfaces to/from other (aircraft and ground) systems
- Ensure system robustness to cyberattacks
- Manage Hardware in the Loop testing for all data links
- Manage frequency coordination and ensure compliance with all applicable licensing
- Conduct or oversee RF hazard safety analyses
- Ensure interface compatibility to Mission Control System and aircraft flight control systems
- Develop voice communication system between remote operators and Air Traffic Control
- 5+ years of experience in a relevant field
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or related field
- Experience working on aircraft programs
- Experience leading Integrated Product Teams (or equivalent) across multiple disciplines
- Experience with communications system design
- Demonstrated experience integrating datalinks on mobile (strong preference for airborne) platforms
- Good understanding of system design principles
- Advanced Engineering degree(s)
- Experience working on aircraft certification programs
- Experience with frequency coordination, licensing and compliance
- Experience with EMI/EMC
- Experience with civil aviation certification at a component or vehicle level
- Experience with voice communications systems
- Experience with LTE 5G/4G Networks
- Experience with MIMO Radios
- Experience with Satellite Communications
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (EAR / ITAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Employer provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, employer complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employer expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.