Xwing is on a mission to build the world’s smartest, cleanest and most advanced aviation system. We're transforming the way airplanes fly— so regional air mobility will be radically safer, more efficient, more accessible and more sustainable than ever.
Our work begins with converting today’s cargo aircraft into remotely-operated self-flying airplanes so every regional route can be serviced frequently and reliably— so every person in every corner of the world can have improved access to all the goods and supplies that are essential and important to them. Beyond the cargo market, we plan to expand our technology safely and scalably to other areas of commercial aviation.
Founded in 2016, Xwing is an aviation technology company based in Northern California with offices in San Francisco and Concord, CA. Xwing was recently named Fast Company’s Top Most Innovative Transportation Companies and featured in TIME Magazine’s Best Inventions List of 2021 after completing the world’s first fully autonomous cargo flight with a remote crew supervising the flight from the ground.
Backed by strategic investors, Xwing has raised over $57 million in venture funding to date, and is partnering closely with the Federal Aviation Administration towards becoming FAA-certified.
Follow our journey towards building a smarter, cleaner and better aviation system for all. Visit xwing.com to learn more, and see all available positions under “Careers” to join our rapidly growing team.
Xwing is seeking an experienced certification systems engineer to work on the development of complex hardware and software intensive autonomous systems. You will be part of a high-energy, collaborative team, aimed at taking the Xwing autonomy product from proof-of-concept through commercial certification.
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
- Ensure that all systems being developed observe certification and industry guidance
- Develop, validate, and verify system certification requirements
- Define and analyze the system architecture to show compliance with FAA CFRs and Industry Guidance
- Support the certification process of systems using airworthiness policy, regulations and guidance
- Engage and support industry committees and FAA meetings
- Define and conduct analysis of standards and identify gaps to generate internal guidance.
- Identify and manage technical risk
- Collaborate with other project disciplines (hardware, software, safety) to track and analyze system progress
- Work closely with DERs on establishing current and novel means and methods of compliance
- Guide and mentor junior engineers
- Manage certification requirements within the requirements management tool JAMA
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- Knowledge of 14 CFR Part 23 requirements, associated means of compliance and certification procedures
- Professional systems engineering experience, preferably in aerospace and/or autonomy
- Bachelor's Degree in Aerospace, Electrical, Mechanical, or Computer Engineering or related field
- Effective at working in a multidisciplinary team and communicating across stakeholders
- Ability to work in a fast-pace environment
- Experience with type certification process
- Experience with Part 135 approval process
- Experienced with development and test processes supporting aircraft certification (ARP4754, DO-178C, DO-254, DO-160G)
- Experience with MBSE methods and tools
- Thorough understanding of systems engineering concepts and methods
- MS/PhD in engineering
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (EAR / ITAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Employer provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, employer complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employer expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.