Xwing is on a mission to build the world’s smartest, cleanest and most advanced aviation system. We're transforming the way airplanes fly— so regional air mobility will be radically safer, more efficient, more accessible and more sustainable than ever.
Our work begins with converting today’s cargo aircraft into remotely-operated self-flying airplanes so every regional route can be serviced frequently and reliably— so every person in every corner of the world can have improved access to all the goods and supplies that are essential and important to them. Beyond the cargo market, we plan to expand our technology safely and scalably to other areas of commercial aviation.
Founded in 2016, Xwing is an aviation technology company based in Northern California with offices in San Francisco and Concord, CA. Xwing was recently named Fast Company’s Top Most Innovative Transportation Companies and featured in TIME Magazine’s Best Inventions List of 2021 after completing the world’s first fully autonomous cargo flight with a remote crew supervising the flight from the ground.
Backed by strategic investors, Xwing has raised over $57 million in venture funding to date, and is partnering closely with the Federal Aviation Administration towards becoming FAA-certified.
Follow our journey towards building a smarter, cleaner and better aviation system for all. Visit xwing.com to learn more, and see all available positions under “Careers” to join our rapidly growing team.
Who We’re Looking For:
Xwing is seeking a Guidance, Navigation and Controls Lead to continue building and to lead a fast-growing engineering team. You will be part of a high-energy, collaborative Engineering leadership team, aimed at taking the Xwing autonomy products from proof-of-concept through commercial certification. As the GNC Lead, you will be responsible for development and certification of high performance, robust control systems for our autonomous aircraft. You will manage and grow the team, develop the GNC strategic roadmap and drive the implementation of the system. Technical expertise, passion for aviation, and an agile mentality are must haves for this role.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Building the strategic roadmap for the GNC team
- Building a stellar team by recruiting, mentoring and retaining world-class engineers and leaders
- Fostering diversity and inclusion, a key tenet of Xwing culture
- Leading resource planning across the team
- Working with subject matter experts and project leaders to architect and implement certifiable, robust control systems
- Developing and implementing best practices for control development and certification
- Overseeing the technical quality and pertinence of the GNC work across various key projects
- Fostering a culture of quick, targeted iterations leading to the development of certifiable control systems
- Collaborating with other teams to ensure alignment of team goals
- BS or MS in an engineering discipline and 10 years of industry experience
- 4 years of experience in engineering management (time leading a team in a successful fast-growing startup counts double)
- Experience in building high-performing teams at a fast pace, while maintaining team cohesion
- Strong fundamental understanding of high-level vehicle controls, sensor fusion, state estimation and path planning
- Experience with developing and exercising GNC-related requirements
- Practical experience developing and testing aircraft control systems
- Experience developing complex products in a regulated industry
- Natural team leader, good communicator, self motivated with hyperdrive
- Aerospace or aviation background
- Understanding of DO-178 software processes
- Proficiency in C/C++
- Experience leading Kaizen events and managing change
- Experience with aircraft flight testing
- Experience with DO-331 and Model Based Design approaches for control systems
- Experience with FAA certification
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (EAR / ITAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Employer provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, employer complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employer expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.