Xwing is on a mission to build the world’s smartest, cleanest and most advanced aviation system. We're transforming the way airplanes fly— so regional air mobility will be radically safer, more efficient, more accessible and more sustainable than it’s ever been.
Our work begins with converting today’s cargo aircraft into remotely-operated self-flying airplanes so every regional route can be serviced frequently and reliably— so every person in every corner of the world can have improved access to all the goods and supplies that are essential and important to them. Beyond the cargo market, we plan to expand our technology safely and scalably to other areas of commercial aviation.
Founded in 2016, Xwing is an aviation technology company based in Northern California with offices in San Francisco and Concord, CA. Xwing was recently named Fast Company’s Top Most Innovative Transportation Companies and featured in TIME Magazine’s Best Inventions List of 2021 after completing the world’s first automated cargo demonstration flight.
Backed by strategic investors, Xwing has raised over $57 million in venture funding to date, and is partnering closely with the Federal Aviation Administration towards becoming FAA-certified.
Follow our journey towards building a smarter, cleaner and better aviation system for all. Visit xwing.com to learn more, and see all available positions under “Careers” to join our rapidly growing team.
Who We're Looking For:
Shape the design of a new class of aviation systems: ground based control and monitoring of certified pilotless aircraft for civilian operations. Work with pilots and aerospace certification, UI/UX, software, and systems engineers to lead the design and development of the Mission Control Center to operate Xwing’s autonomous aircraft.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Apply human factor principles and knowledge to capture user requirements and support the design, development, testing, and evaluation of safe and effective user interfaces.
- Utilize user centered design tools and methods for cognitive task analysis, crew workload analysis, usability evaluation, statistical and human error analysis.
- Work with UI/UX engineers to develop Human-Machine interfaces to ensure human engineering requirements are met by the design.
- Review and evaluate the Human-Machine interface design and provide feedback.
- Develop compliance plan for human factor considerations
- Manage review of certification deliverables related to human factor evaluation with certification authority
- Develop human factor standards and other guidance documents to support Human-Machine interface design.
- 10+ years of work experience as a Human Factor Engineer in aerospace, automotive, robotic or similar industry
- Experience working in matrix organization and collaborating with various stakeholders
- MS or BS in Human Factors, or relevant field
- Experience in designing and evaluating Human-Machine interface design for cockpit display applications for military or commercial aircrafts
- Knowledgeable in flight deck philosophy and crew alerting philosophy
- Knowledgeable in FAA regulations for Part 23 aircraft
- Strong understanding of the overall aircraft functions to facilitate design discussions for the usability and safety of Human-Machine interface features
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (EAR / ITAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Employer provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, employer complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employer expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.