Xwing is on a mission to build the world’s smartest, cleanest and most advanced aviation system. We're transforming the way airplanes fly— so regional air mobility will be radically safer, more efficient, more accessible and more sustainable than it’s ever been.
Our work begins with converting today’s cargo aircraft into remotely-operated self-flying airplanes so every regional route can be serviced frequently and reliably— so every person in every corner of the world can have improved access to all the goods and supplies that are essential and important to them. Beyond the cargo market, we plan to expand our technology safely and scalably to other areas of commercial aviation.
Founded in 2016, Xwing is an aviation technology company based in Northern California with offices in San Francisco and Concord, CA. Xwing was recently named Fast Company’s Top Most Innovative Transportation Companies and featured in TIME Magazine’s Best Inventions List of 2021 after completing the world’s first automated cargo demonstration flight.
Backed by strategic investors, Xwing has raised over $57 million in venture funding to date, and is partnering closely with the Federal Aviation Administration towards becoming FAA-certified.
Follow our journey towards building a smarter, cleaner and better aviation system for all. Visit xwing.com to learn more, and see all available positions under “Careers” to join our rapidly growing team.
Who We're Looking For:
Xwing is searching for a Senior Aircraft Mechanical Design engineer. The ideal candidate will have experience with multiple aircraft programs for mechanical design.
In this role, you will be primarily responsible for mechanical designs of the product, and your work will be key to the overall business success of the company. You will have a broad mandate to improve efficiency and be given a range of resources with which to do so.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead designing mechanical systems for retractable landing gears, flight control surfaces and door actuation systems support the aircraft conceptual, preliminary and detailed designs.
- Lead developing test plan, test report and analysis of aircraft mechanical systems
- Lead the technical evaluations to mechanical parts from suppliers
- Lead the coordinations with structural team for installation of mechanical systems
- Lead the team and mentor team members on mechanical designs.
- BS or MS in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or related field
- 8+ years’ experience with designing aircraft mechanical systems, such as landing gears, flight control surface, electrical motors, or electro-mechanical actuation systems
- Thorough understanding of structures, assemblies and mechanical components
- Knowledge in metallic material selection and manufacturing process
- Years of experience with design tools (CATIA V5, SolidWorks or equivalent)
- Experience with creating and releasing drawings using GD&T to ASME Y14.5 standards
- Experience with certification under Part 23 requirements
- Subject Matter expert of FAA certification requirements and ASTM standards for mechanical applications.
- Experience with leading a team
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (EAR / ITAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Employer provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, employer complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employer expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.