Xwing is on a mission to build the world’s smartest, cleanest and most advanced aviation system. We're transforming the way airplanes fly— so regional air mobility will be radically safer, more efficient, more accessible and more sustainable than it’s ever been.
Our work begins with converting today’s cargo aircraft into remotely-operated self-flying airplanes so every regional route can be serviced frequently and reliably— so every person in every corner of the world can have improved access to all the goods and supplies that are essential and important to them. Beyond the cargo market, we plan to expand our technology safely and scalably to other areas of commercial aviation.
Founded in 2016, Xwing is an aviation technology company based in Northern California with offices in San Francisco and Concord, CA. Xwing was recently named Fast Company’s Top Most Innovative Transportation Companies and featured in TIME Magazine’s Best Inventions List of 2021 after completing the world’s first automated cargo demonstration flight.
Backed by strategic investors, Xwing has raised over $57 million in venture funding to date, and is partnering closely with the Federal Aviation Administration towards becoming FAA-certified.
Follow our journey towards building a smarter, cleaner and better aviation system for all. Visit xwing.com to learn more, and see all available positions under “Careers” to join our rapidly growing team.
Who We're Looking For:
Xwing is seeking a Senior Aircraft Structural Analysis Engineer with structural analysis experience. The ideal candidate will have experience with multiple aircraft programs for structural analysis.
In this role, you will be primarily responsible for structural analysis of the product, and your work will be key to the overall business success of the company. You will have a broad mandate to improve efficiency and be given a range of resources with which to do so.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform the structural sizing and collaborate with the design team to develop the conceptual design.
- Develop the structural internal load finite element model FEM), incorporate the external loads to support the initial sizing, preliminary & detailed design
- Perform structural analysis to substantiate structures (Fuselage, wing, empennage, major fittings, etc)
- Support the loads and aerodynamic group to develop structural dynamic and flutter models.
- Develop and lead material and structural testing.
- Perform static strength, fatigue and damage tolerance analysis to support certification
- BS or MS in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or related field
- 8+ years’ experience of structural analysis with metallic and composite primary structures
- Have a good understanding to primary structures and loads at an airplane level
- Deep knowledge to failure analysis for composite primary structures and joints (laminate panels, sandwich panels, bonding, fastened joints)
- Extensive experience with finite element analysis and structural analysis tools (Femap,, Nastran, HyperMesh (or HyperX), HyperWorks, or Ansys, Abaqus)
- Deep knowledge of classical structural analysis methodologies and aircraft design criteria
- Experience with fatigue and damage analysis
- Familiarity with design tools (CATIA V5, SolidWorks or equivalent)
- Experience with certification of composite primary structures
- Experience with structural design and analysis for Part 23 airplanes
- Experience with leading a team
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (EAR / ITAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Employer provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, employer complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employer expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.