Xwing is on a mission to build the world’s smartest, cleanest and most advanced aviation system. We're transforming the way airplanes fly— so regional air mobility will be radically safer, more efficient, more accessible and more sustainable than it’s ever been.
Our work begins with converting today’s cargo aircraft into remotely-operated self-flying airplanes so every regional route can be serviced frequently and reliably— so every person in every corner of the world can have improved access to all the goods and supplies that are essential and important to them. Beyond the cargo market, we plan to expand our technology safely and scalably to other areas of commercial aviation.
Founded in 2016, Xwing is an aviation technology company based in Northern California with offices in San Francisco and Concord, CA. Xwing was recently named Fast Company’s Top Most Innovative Transportation Companies and featured in TIME Magazine’s Best Inventions List of 2021 after completing the world’s first automated cargo demonstration flight.
Backed by strategic investors, Xwing has raised over $57 million in venture funding to date, and is partnering closely with the Federal Aviation Administration towards becoming FAA-certified.
Follow our journey towards building a smarter, cleaner and better aviation system for all. Visit xwing.com to learn more, and see all available positions under “Careers” to join our rapidly growing team.
Who We’re Looking For:
The User Interface Designer provides technical leadership and expertise to support the design, development and testing of User Interface functions of the Ground Control Segment of the Xwing System.
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
What You'll Do:
Shape the design of a new class of aviation systems: ground based control and monitoring of certified pilotless aircraft for civilian operations. Work with pilots and aerospace, certification, software, and systems engineers to lead the development of the displays and controls for aviation’s autonomous future.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Design and develop the next generation control interface for simplified remote vehicle operations
- Establish design philosophies and strategies with human factors considerations
- Gather and evaluate user requirements in collaboration with systems engineers, software engineers, flight test pilots, and product leads
- Illustrate design ideas using storyboards, and UI mock-ups/wireframes to illustrate how the functionality works
- Design graphic user interface elements, like menus, tabs and widgets displayed by graphics UI
- Generate UI specification and style guides for fonts, colors and images
- Coordinate reviews with stakeholders and adjust the specification and UI based on feedbacks
- Perform usability testing using click dummies, interviews, surveys etc.
- Identify and troubleshoot UX problems (e.g. responsiveness)
- Conduct layout adjustments based on user feedback
- Support Human Factor engineers to perform crew workload assessment
- Identify, evaluate, and occasionally develop engineering tools / processes necessary to meet the project's engineering and business goals
- 10+ years of work experience as a UI/UX designer in aerospace, automotive, or medical industry
- Knowledge of wireframe tools and design tools like Adobe Illustrator
- Experience working in matrix organization and collaborating with various stakeholders
- MS or BS in Human-Centered Design, Computer Science or relevant field
- Experience in designing UI for cockpit display applications for military or commercial aircrafts
- Knowledgeable in FAA regulations for Part 23 aircraft
- Strong understanding of the overall aircraft functions to facilitate design discussions for the usability and safety of User Interface features
- Experience with the software development life cycle within Aerospace or similar controlled industry
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Capable of developing and writing specifications in an engineering environment
- Ability to use project cost and schedule requirements as part of the overall best technical solution
- Ability to provide most cost effective and technically correct solution to internal and external customers
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (EAR / ITAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Employer provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, employer complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employer expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.