Meet one of your future colleagues!
Xwing is on a mission to build the world’s smartest, cleanest and most advanced aviation system. We're transforming the way airplanes fly— so regional air mobility will be radically safer, more efficient, more accessible and more sustainable than ever.
Our work begins with converting today’s cargo aircraft into remotely-operated self-flying airplanes so every regional route can be serviced frequently and reliably— so every person in every corner of the world can have improved access to all the goods and supplies that are essential and important to them. Beyond the cargo market, we plan to expand our technology safely and scalably to other areas of commercial aviation.
Founded in 2016, Xwing is an aviation technology company based in Northern California with offices in San Francisco and Concord, CA. Xwing was recently named Fast Company’s Top Most Innovative Transportation Companies and featured in TIME Magazine’s Best Inventions List of 2021 after completing the world’s first fully autonomous cargo flight with a remote crew supervising the flight from the ground.
Backed by strategic investors, Xwing has raised over $57 million in venture funding to date, and is partnering closely with the Federal Aviation Administration towards becoming FAA-certified.
Follow our journey towards building a smarter, cleaner and better aviation system for all. Visit xwing.com to learn more, and see all available positions under “Careers” to join our rapidly growing team.
Who We're Looking For:
Xwing is seeking a System Software Engineer to develop safety-critical embedded software for the Xwing Autoflight System (AFS). You will be joining a world-class engineering team in autonomous transportation and aerospace. Responsibilities and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Responsibilities include but are no limited to:
- Collaborate with the AFS systems engineering team and the software technical lead to decompose system-level requirements into high and low level software requirements that are compliant with DO-178
- Participate in the software architecture and design process
- Develop embedded flight code and integrate the software onto the system hardware
- Create verification test cases and procedures, while maintaining independence
- Work as part of the team to achieve software data approval under DO-178
- University degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related degree, with 2+ years of direct experience
- Experience developing DO-178 (DAL C or higher) software in support of civil certification (14 CFR Part 23, 25, 27, 29, 33)
- Working knowledge of one or more embedded software languages, including C, C++, Ada, Assembly, etc.
- Effective at working in a multidisciplinary team and communicating across stakeholders
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Detail-oriented and methodical while building software
- Experience working with an Agile tool set and lifecycle
- Experience developing code for industry-standard I/O including AFDX, Ethernet, SPI, CAN, ARINC-429, ARINC-629, MIL-STD-1553, discrete data, etc.
- Experience integrating model-based autogenerated code
- Experience developing software for real-time control systems
- Experience working directly with the FAA and/or DER
- Experience with certification audits (Stage of Involvement)
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (EAR / ITAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Employer provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, employer complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employer expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.