Xwing is on a mission to build the world’s smartest, cleanest and most advanced aviation system. We're transforming the way airplanes fly— so regional air mobility will be radically safer, more efficient, more accessible and more sustainable than ever.
Our work begins with converting today’s cargo aircraft into remotely-operated self-flying airplanes so every regional route can be serviced frequently and reliably— so every person in every corner of the world can have improved access to all the goods and supplies that are essential and important to them. Beyond the cargo market, we plan to expand our technology safely and scalably to other areas of commercial aviation.
Founded in 2016, Xwing is an aviation technology company based in Northern California with offices in San Francisco and Concord, CA. Xwing was recently named Fast Company’s Top Most Innovative Transportation Companies and featured in TIME Magazine’s Best Inventions List of 2021 after completing the world’s first fully autonomous cargo flight with a remote crew supervising the flight from the ground.
Backed by strategic investors, Xwing has raised over $57 million in venture funding to date, and is partnering closely with the Federal Aviation Administration towards becoming FAA-certified.
Follow our journey towards building a smarter, cleaner and better aviation system for all. Visit xwing.com to learn more, and see all available positions under “Careers” to join our rapidly growing team.
Who We're Looking For:
Xwing is seeking a hands-on entrepreneurial GNC candidate to conduct cutting-edge work in vehicle controls, estimation, and sensor fusion. You’ll get to work with a world-class engineering team in autonomous transportation and aerospace. Responsibilities and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop algorithms for vehicle controls, state estimation, sensor fusion, target tracking, and path planning
- Prototype and test algorithms in simulation
- Write flight test cards, participate in flight test briefs
- Participate in the flight test from either the ground control room or onboard the aircraft
- Work with software engineers to develop and maintain simulation environment for autonomous aircraft
- Run large scale simulations, analyze simulation results and generate high-quality reports
- Follow and support flight test activity
- Conduct engineering trade studies, document decision process and implementation
- Derive subsystem requirements and specifications, including sensors, compute platforms, and control actuation
- Work on hardware selection for sensor and other subsystems
- Support subsystem testing and verification in simulation and in the field
- 2-10 years of professional GNC experience in aviation, aerospace, automotive, naval, or related fields
- MS/PhD in a related field (CS / ME / AE / EE)
- Experience with real-time operations and real-world data
- Proficient in C, C++
- Effective at working in a multidisciplinary team and communicating across stakeholders
- Ability to work in a fast-pace environment
- Demonstrated expertise in sensor fusion and probabilistic estimation theory
- Understanding of DO-178 software process
- Experience selecting and testing sensors and/or other hardware
- Experience with autonomous systems
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (EAR / ITAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Employer provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, employer complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employer expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.