At XMTP Labs, we're reimagining the future of decentralized, secure, and portable messaging. We believe that privacy is an inalienable and universal right. Communication on today’s internet is ensnared by walled gardens, plagued by scams, and monopolized by corporations that surveil and monetize user data. This has to change.We're committed to creating a powerful communication protocol that is truly open to all. In our vision, users not only own and control their own identity and data, but also benefit economically from their participation, all while breaking free from single-entity control.Our mission at XMTP Labs is to build a secure, open, and decentralized communication protocol that connects creators, communities, applications, and users. If this mission speaks to you, let's build the future of messaging together.
We’re backed by some of the best investors in tech and crypto: a16z Crypto, Offline Ventures, Sound Ventures, Distributed Global, Redpoint, IDEO CoLab and many more key ecosystem investors and operators. See the full list here.
- 5+ years of experience building distributed software systems, with substantial exposure to cryptographic protocols and blockchain technologies.
- Demonstrable experience in designing, building, and operating crypto-based decentralized systems, with the capability to identify, comprehend, and integrate trade-offs.
- Hands-on experience building with and on various protocols, underlining a thorough understanding of protocol design principles.
- Specialization in at least one or two of the following areas: smart contract development, protocol mechanism design, consensus algorithm design. A well-rounded, “T-shaped” expertise profile is preferred.
- Proficiency in building with Golang and Solidity, and experience with networking protocols, specifically with peer-to-peer network implementation like libp2p.
Nice to have
- Experience with off-chain scaling solutions such as state channels or layer-2 solutions.
- Previous involvement in privacy-preserving cryptographic technologies, or with zero knowledge cryptography
- Contributions to open-source projects, particularly in the domains of blockchain, cryptocurrency, or decentralized systems.
- Familiarity with DevOps, operations, and container orchestration technologies like Kubernetes and Docker.
- Design, develop, and implement protocols for decentralized systems within the blockchain and cryptocurrency domain.
- Participate actively in protocol design sessions, contributing with technical expertise and innovative solutions.
- Evaluate trade-offs in system design, considering factors such as security, scalability, efficiency, and cost.
- Write and maintain robust, efficient, and secure code using languages such as Golang and Solidity.
- Utilize technologies like libp2p for the implementation of peer-to-peer networking protocols.
- Stay updated with latest developments and trends in cryptoeconomics, networking protocols, and relevant technological advancements.
- Collaborate closely with other engineers, developers, and stakeholders to ensure seamless integration and alignment of technologies and systems.
- Handle debugging, troubleshooting, and performance tuning tasks to ensure system stability and high performance.
- Mentor and guide other engineers, fostering an inclusive and innovative team culture.
- Generous and competitive compensation package
- Salary range between $160-250k (depending on experience + location)
- Remote-first environment with semi-yearly gatherings to connect IRL
- Full paid Medical, Dental, Vision insurance
- Parental Leave
- IT Equipment and WFH setup
- Monthly Wellness and Lifestyle stipend
- Personal assistant
- Flexible vacation (with minimum requirements to ensure rest and time-off to pursue your passions outside of work)
- And much more!
We think of ourselves as a “grown-up” startup—building a company that’s fair, equitable, and rewarding for everyone to work at, with an emphasis on having fun while building an ambitious project.
Joining XMTP Labs today represents not just an opportunity to play a key role in building an essential part of the next web, but also in establishing the core DNA of the company.
Here's an inside look at XMTP and some of the frequently asked questions about our culture, answered by one of our co-founders and core team members.
XMTP, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building an inclusive team with a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills. We value diversity at our company and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Please notify your recruiter of any disabilities or time preferences based off your current location and time zone.