Our mission at XMTP is to build an open, crypto-native communication protocol that connects communities, applications, and users. As a distributed systems engineer at XMTP you'll build mission-critical software that will help us achieve that goal.
Levels: Senior Engineer, Staff Engineer, Principal Engineer
As a Distributed Systems Engineer at XMTP you will:
- Design, build, and operate resilient and high performing XMTP node software and their peripheral tooling.
- Work with protocol and frontend engineers to integrate end-to-end XMTP systems.
- Maintain open-source XMTP software and contribute to other OSS projects as needed.
You may be a fit for this role if you have:
- Experience designing, building, and operating large-scale distributed web systems in production.
- Experience or interest in learning Go to build XMTP node software and peripheral tooling.
- Technical leadership experience in any of the above.
- Deep understanding of distributed systems principles and applications.
- Strong technical design ability informed by broad experience across multiple domains.
- Excellent communication skills on technical and non-technical topics, with an emphasis on clear and concise written async communication.
Not required, but a bonus if you have:
- Experience with security engineering and/or cryptography principles.
- Experience designing and building peer-to-peer networks or consensus protocols.
- Experience designing and building game theory or economic incentives models for decentralized systems.
- Experience integrating with blockchains or writing smart contracts.
- Experience contributing to open-source projects, or leading development efforts within open-source communities.
Who we are
We set out to design a modern organization from the start—one that’s global, remote, and asynchronous-by-default.
We think of ourselves as a “grown-up” startup—building a company that’s fair, equitable, and rewarding for everyone to work at, with an emphasis on having fun while building an ambitious project.
Our team has decades of experience in building companies, but we’re looking for more diverse experiences to add to the founding team. Joining XMTP today represents not just an opportunity to play a key role in building an essential part of the next web, but also in establishing the core DNA of the company.
About XMTP, Inc.
XMTP, Inc. was co-founded by Matt Galligan and Shane Mac, and is headquartered on the web. We have an excellent benefits package that includes parental leave, competitive pay, an equipment and home office allowance that refreshes yearly, monthly lifestyle stipend, as well as a personal assistant, and financial advisor. For U.S.-based team members we also provide access to FSA, 401K, and fully paid high quality medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family.
We’re backed by some of the best investors in tech and crypto: a16z Crypto Fund, Offline Ventures, Sound Ventures, Distributed Global, Redpoint, IDEO CoLab and many more key ecosystem investors and operators. See the full list here.
XMTP, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.