xAI’s mission is to create AI systems that can accurately understand the universe and aid humanity in its pursuit of knowledge.
Our team is small, highly motivated, and focused on engineering excellence. This is an organization for those who appreciate challenging themselves and who thrive on curiosity. Engineers are encouraged to work across multiple areas of the company, and as a result all engineers and researchers share the title “Member of Technical Staff”.
We operate with a flat organizational structure. All employees are expected to be hands-on and to contribute directly to the company’s mission. Leadership is given to those who show initiative and consistently deliver excellence. Work ethic and strong prioritization skills are important.
All engineers and researchers are expected to have strong communication skills. They should be able to concisely and accurately share knowledge with their teammates.
xAI does not have recruiters. Every application is reviewed directly by a technical member of the team.
- Operating some of the world’s largest GPU supercomputing clusters for both AI training and serving production models.
- Working with both on-premise clusters and cloud providers.
- Help with security best practices for internal researchers and live external traffic.
- Writing scalable and highly available containerized applications in Rust.
- Managing compute fleets with Pulumi, Terraform, Ansible, or other stateful automation libraries.
- Monitoring Kubernetes clusters with Prometheus, and Grafana.
- Monitoring and root-causing faulty hardware, especially GPUs and RDMA networking.
- Securing clusters via RBAC with OIDC or LDAP integrations, configuring cloud networking, and performing penetration testing.
Annual Salary Range
$180,000 - $385,000 USD