The Wurl Network is at the center of two giant ecosystems - the world's largest media brands and the world's largest TV streaming services. Wurl is the market leader in helping Video Producers distribute and monetize their content with scale, efficiency, and agility. Our network reaches +150 million TVs managing the distribution and monetization of hundreds of millions of hours of programming and billions of ads for Wurl customers. Every day, 24/7 our network delivers their live, linear and VOD programming to the world’s largest Internet-based video services - including Twitch, Roku, Sling, Samsung, Vizio, IMDb. At Wurl, you will change what "TV" means for hundreds of millions of viewers around the world. This is a rare opportunity to be one of the first 100 employees for one of the fastest growing companies in Silicon Valley.
In this job, you'll be a key member of the Wurl engineering team building the system responsible for retrieval, curation, and scheduling of managed media into 24x7-linear channels and VOD deliveries. You will be responsible for architecture, design, development and delivery / implementation of database solutions to include: architecture design, prototyping of concepts to proof of concept, development of standards, design and development of test plans, code and module design, development and testing, solution debugging, design and implementation of a solution that follows efficient design techniques and development that meets and exceeds the intent of the design.
There will be heavy focus on our existing database as well as expanding our architecture into new databases. We will be looking to optimize tables and expensive queries as well as splitting up the database to lead into a service oriented architecture. The ideal candidate can do typical backend feature work but has a real passion for and expert level proficiency in database architecture/optimization.
- 7+ years of complete software lifecycle experience, including design, architecture, and implementation of software features.
- 5+ years experience working with various databases, especially from an architectural standpoint
- Experience using Ruby on Rails especially with optimizing ActiveRecord (Arel Tables)
- Experience with database testing through ActiveRecord.
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience writing REST APIs
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including documenting software design and processes.
- Deep understanding of AWS services and infrastructure.
- Deep knowledge of engineering fundamentals such as Agile methodology, git-flow, pull requests, code reviews, SLAs, and test-driven development.
A plus if you have:
- An understanding of the W3C Media Source Extensions and the video tag.
- Knowledge of video delivery standards (HLS, MP4, RTMP, DASH, MRSS, MP-TS, RTMP)
- Experience on the front end, especially with React
What We Offer
Wurl provides a competitive compensation and excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life/disability insurance, paid time off, paid holidays, 401(k), flexible schedules and HSA. We are a fun, creative and collaborative remote work environment, headquartered in Palo Alto, CA. We live our values (PASSION, OWNERSHIP, RESPECT, EXCELLENCE) everyday in how we work with one another and support our clients. Wurl is truly a unique place to learn, create and have a daily impact on millions of people every day.
COVID Update: We are actively hiring for this position and have been operating as a fully distributed organization across the United States since Wurl started. We anticipate a future where we will be able to periodically gather as a company again, but we put the health and wellbeing of our employees (and their families) first.