The Wurl Network is at the center of two giant ecosystems - the world's largest media brands and the world's largest TV streaming services. Our network distributes millions of hours of programming and billions of ads for over 100 customers including many of the biggest media brands on the planet. Our global distribution and advertising operations deliver live programming and personalized advertising reaching TVs +200 million TVs in +40 countries. Maintaining high uptime/availability is a critical goal of our engineering and ops teams.
At Wurl, you will change what "TV" means for hundreds of millions of viewers around the world. This is a rare opportunity to be one of the first 100 employees of one of the fastest-growing companies in Silicon Valley. Come join the team!
We’re looking for an experienced VP of DevOps to join our team. This is a critical position in our Engineering/Ops organization as we scale from 40 engineers (today) to ~100 by EOY 2021.
- The Wurl VP DevOps will be the main champion of established DevSecOps methods and practices for the Wurl engineering organization.
- Full responsibility for availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring, emergency response, and capacity planning.
- Manage a team that reduces organization silos and shares ownership with developers by using the same tools and techniques across the stack. Collaborate with engineering managers to design and execute cloud services that are scalable, reliable, secured, efficient, and monitored.
- Measurement: Define, measure, and report on SLIs and SLOs for Wurl and for individual service-specific teams to adhere to Wurl’s business commitments.
- Measure everything. Approach operations as a software problem, and define prescriptive ways for measuring availability, uptime, outages, toil, etc.
- Manage analysis and approval of new code through security and performance gates that you will design and develop for feature-complete software. Be an advocate for security and performance standards in the organization. Work with engineering teams to make Ops and Security a part of every product release.
- Identify trending gaps or issues in the day-to-day performance of all Wurl cloud services and 3rd party vendors including active monitoring, alert management, reporting, and process reviews.
- Oversee deployment in a delivery pipeline that performs both manual and automated quality and security checksProvide operational excellence working with developers, product owners, and multi-cultural teams across multiple time zones.
- Supervise the development and advancement of Wurl’s DevOps team.
- Maintain accurate program estimates, timelines, project plans, and status reports
- Approve and supervise the operation of 3rd-party software and cloud services as appropriate to improve operations, reliability, consistency, and budgetary success
- Display technical leadership and oversight of implementation and deployment planning, system integration, ongoing data validation processes, quality assurance, delivery, operations, and sustainability of technical solutions.
- Be an advocate for security and performance standards in the organization.
- Maintain issue tracking and documentation systems and provides reporting that ensures proper tracking and visibility of issues and projects.
- Candidates must be based in (or willing to relocate to) either the SF Bay area of greater LA.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a senior DevOps management role.
- Proven experience in a similar managerial role preferably running a video streaming network and/or a large SaaS operation.
- Excellent knowledge of AWS cloud services, security, platforms, monitoring, data, and management tools.
- Full understanding of software development lifecycle best practices. Possessing an expert technical understanding of the intersection of development and operations (DevOps), monitoring and management tools, and deployment processes and tools.
- Solid understanding of data analysis, budgeting, and business operations
- An experience in SOC2 certification preparation and audit
- Superior analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- A strong strategic and business mindset
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Strong cross-functional collaboration skills, relationship-building skills, and the ability to achieve results without direct reporting relationships
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
- A track record as a coach, mentor, and developer of talent
- Self-motivated individual that possesses excellent time management and organizational
- Strong sense of personal responsibility and accountability for delivering high quality work, both personally and at a team level
- A plus if you have a high-level understanding in the areas of streaming video, ad insertion, CDN, content management systems, API, databases, and system design
- BSc/BA in computer science, engineering, or relevant field; MSc/MA is preferred