WPP IT provides IT services for WPP, the world’s largest communications services group. As a creative transformation company, WPP is helping its clients transform the future through extraordinary work. WPP IT is an integral part of that journey and we are proud to provide technology for some of the world’s most creative brands.
Why we're hiring:
At WPP, technology is at the heart of everything we do, and it is WPP IT’s mission to enable everyone to collaborate, create and thrive. WPP IT is undergoing a significant transformation to build the transformation platform that will power the next evolution of WPP. WPP is on a journey to clarify and simplify the operating model between our brands and WPP, modernize and create tech-enabled colleague experiences, and create an open, integrated technology innovation platform across WPP.
Along that journey we will ensure WPP IT is a destination for tech talent, modernize our ways of working, shift to cloud and micro-service-based architectures, drive automation, digitise colleague and client experiences and deliver insight from WPP’s petabytes of data.
We are establishing a new transformation function to establish a world-class change management, adoption and engagement capability and to ensure strategic initiatives deliver their promised shift in colleague/client experience, effectiveness and ways of working. The team will also govern our IT ways of working and establish Centres of Excellence to support the adoption of design thinking, No/DevOps and agile practices, whilst embedding a culture of strong partnerships.
The Head of Design plays a key leadership role in transforming ways of working at scale through design thinking, agile and lean start-up frameworks that enable multi-discipline teams to deliver market-leading digital products, experiences and services. The role is responsible for embedding a human-centered culture and a model for rapid innovation and product/service development. The Head of Design will build a culture of continuous experimentation, measurement and improvement throughout the WPP IT organisation and in partnership with WPP agency teams.
We believe that our transformation agenda can be accelerated if everyone who plays a part in realising the strategy can connect it to meaningful and measurable outcomes and have ways to test if they are being delivered. The Head of Design will help leaders translate the IT transformation strategy into testable hypotheses and establish an agile operating model, that, supported by insights and feedback loops, will help our colleagues work more autonomously to deliver their part in the transformation.
What you'll be doing:
- Setting strong foundations
- Be the IT Design Authority for Design Thinking, UX & Agile frameworks, tools, capabilities and learning journeys and manage their continuous evolution
- Build a world-class IT Design team and continue to evolve their WPP knowledge, design practice and operating model
- Set up Communities of Practice to drive social knowledge-sharing and a network of design advocates
- Champion Inclusive design and Digital accessibility; establishing a set of strategic principles and working with IT teams to embed these into all IT design services
- Provide facilitation and coaching services to embed new ways of working and to support learning & development
- Design of Agile Operating Model
- Enabling aligned teams
- Embedding design thinking practices into all key strategic initiatives so that colleague/client journeys are experiences are co-created and in service of their needs
- Ideation and incubation for new services and unmet colleague/client needs
- Definition, tracking and assurance of Desirability, Viability, Feasibility measures, Objectives and Key Results (customer, colleague & business) for key initiatives
- Assure the service design & development life-cycle to ensure that all services align to agreed service design principles
- Accelerating strategic delivery
- Coaching teams to accelerate culture transformation & strategy implementation
- Infusing hypothesis-driven and experimental ways of working to strategic and tactical activities
- Building feedback loops into every level of design to improve the flow of value
- Gather internal and external insight and best practice to ensure WPP IT design practices remain at the leading edge
- Speak at internal and external events to raise the profile of WPP’s IT transformation approach and outcomes
- Build strategic relationships with external bodies, such as the Royal Academy of Arts, to help raise profile of WPP IT design practice, bring external insights into WPP IT to help stay competitive and attract a pipeline of upcoming design talent
What you'll need:
- Recognised both externally and internally as a subject matter expert in service design, design thinking and digital transformation, with experience of delivering this at scale
- Very high and sophisticated interpersonal skills needed to lead multi-discipline and cross-functional teams and build trust with challenging stakeholders through co-creation
- A high degree of business and commercial knowledge, to enable commercially viable and business compatible service design
- Ability to utilise industry network to identify and attract new talent to build capacity
- Highly effective and diverse stakeholder management: demonstrated ability to build and manage relationships across challenging internal and external teams, senior stakeholders, consultants, architects, analysts, and Finance and HR colleagues
- Exceptional communication and skills and a recognizable thought leader capable of engaging and influencing leaders from ExComm down
- A leadership style which role models through own behavior and actions, embedding change by inspiring, coaching, holding self and others to account and setting the right cultural tone
- Drive a shift to a highly engaged, diverse team with an inclusive culture where WPP values are role modelled throughout.
Who you are:
You’re open: We are inclusive and collaborative; we encourage the free exchange of ideas; we respect and celebrate diverse views. We are open-minded: to new ideas, new partnerships, new ways of working.
You’re optimistic: We believe in the power of creativity, technology and talent to create brighter futures or our people, our clients and our communities. We approach all that we do with confidence: to try the new and to seek the unexpected.
You’re extraordinary: we are stronger together: through collaboration we achieve the amazing. We are creative leaders and pioneers of our industry; we deliver extraordinary every day.
What we'll give you:
Passionate, driven people – We champion a culture of people that do extraordinary work.
Scale and opportunity – We offer the opportunity to create, influence and deliver projects at a scale that is unparalleled in the industry.
Challenging and stimulating work – Unique work and the opportunity to join a group of creative problem solvers. Are you up for the challenge?