MediaCom is an agency of GroupM, the world’s largest media investment company and are a part of WPP. In fact, we are responsible for one in every three ads you see globally. At GroupM APAC, Our people are our strength, which is why fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion is important to us.
Purpose of position
Investment is the engine room of MediaCom Marketplace. It’s where the rubber hits the road. You oversee the team that brings to life Connected Execution plans, develop exciting partnerships built on your relationships with the media, and deliver value for our clients.
Futureproofed, you operate in a system powered by data, technology, and automation built around best-in-class products and processes. You are the empowered negotiator, the confident trader, and the system optimiser, underpinned by a futureproofed way of working.
As the Head of Marketplace Sydney, you oversee the entire investment team in Sydney, setting the standards across the teams, ensuring the highest quality output, futureproofing our talent, and leading from the front. You are the face of the investment team in Sydney, ensuring everyone is passionate and engaged with their career path. You are the conduit between the Sydney Leadership Team (SLT) and the people.
The 3 things you will love about this job:
- The fantastic team of high performing people around you that want to make a difference
- An amazing client base that wants to innovate, sponsor and do things differently
- An opportunity to lead a team and make it your own with a group of people that is already delivering incredible work
- Media Owner Sales Director, National Sales Directors & GSMs
- Relevant tech and data providers
- Senior clients
- Heads of Department (MBA, Business Science, Automation)
On any given day, you might
- Ensures that the MP team understands their role and responsibilities and sets a clear direction for all team members.
- Ensure they and their team live and breathe the MediaCom values.
- Coaches & mentors senior leaders regularly to deliver their work to a high standard and in a timely manner.
- Leads career development of the team, able to set goals that will develop our people and develop our business.
- Intrinsic understanding of the investment implementation process, leading developments, and find efficiencies.
- Manage team holiday/sick leave/Summer Friday approval & oversee expenses.
- Works hand in hand with Client Leads across all disciplines throughout the campaign development process, ensuring they deliver work in a timely manner.
- Lead investment recruitment, ensuring we have the right people in the right roles, moving across team if needed. Responsible for driving and overseeing a high-performance culture.
- Has a thorough knowledge and understanding of Systems Planner and the roles and responsibilities at each stage.
- Ensures the correct applications of SP according to the unique requirements of each brief.
- Leads and showcases how to best use media planning/reporting tools and GroupM Knowledge tools, interpreting relevant data sources to build insights that lead to optimized channel thinking (e.g., GroupM Knowledge, EMMA, Roy Morgan, Nielsen).
- Oversees the team's compliance output, ensuring the delivery of BIC documents/presentations 100% of the time (including optimised channel documents, media schedules, and PCA decks).
- Leading from the front with Innovation and instills in team that it is present in all recommendations.
- Leads quality control on all outputs from the team, including; media owner briefs, channel presentations, media plans, PCAs, deal tracking, and monthly forecasting.
- Ensures Investment strategies and are leveraged to the benefit the Client
- Oversees negotiation strategies, in line with Client’s overall investment strategy for both traditional, digital and biddable media.
- Leads team and clients through ongoing micro and macro-economic trend presentations and POV’s to clients.
- Leads the pricing for both traditional, digital and biddable media.
- Is the senior trusted advisor to clients and helps build teams client relationships.
- Has a monthly connect with all senior key clients, understanding how you can better serve their business.
- Leads by example on how to responds to clients and media owners in a timely manner, consistently managing expectations.
- Leads MP related strategy to increase/maintain client TRR/appraisal scores.
- Always has a well-informed POV in every meeting and coaches Manager in building their POV.
- Leads all forecasting for Sydney, working with National Head of Investment to oversee
- Oversees delivery of all contractual and commercial requirements and managed appropriately.
- Showcases and leads the GroupM compliance/SOX/audit process, with the process implemented 100% of the time across all clients.
- Oversees delivery of local and global requirements.
- Able to spot opportunities across Sydney for increased commercial opportunities
- Oversees all aged debt, account queries and audits.
- Supports digital team operations, particularly their processes and resource management (ensuring the right skillsets and the level of experiences are allocated due to fluctuations between teams).
- Ensures the investment between digital, biddable and traditional media are integrated seamlessly.
- Develop strong digital media and platform partner relationships – not just with sales teams but also across content, technology and revenue departments.
- Provide insightful, detailed and timely briefs and feedback to our digital media and tech partners.
- Works closely with GroupM’s Xaxis and PBU.
- Understands the importance of data and tech in digital media and how they are applied to our media campaigns.
- Supports National Head of Digital with performance management, therefore understanding of what makes a great digital managers, planners and buyers are important.
- Has a detailed understanding of offline and digital channels and how they work together.
- Loves building strong relationships with clients and the media owners, is naturally charismatic and able to engage the market.
- Has established fluent senior relationships with traditional and digital media partners and utilises these to get the best outcomes for clients and the agency.
- Is passionate about media and building out new products.
- Confident in leading a big department (80+), setting the direction for GIDs and Directors weekly/monthly and yearly.
- Able to foster a positive culture for the team from top to bottom and connect it to the agency.
- Has an intricate understanding of the pitch process, and is confident leading the pitch process across Sydney.
- Able to oversee department workload and spot bottlenecks and relive them.
- Passionate about numbers, leading benchmarking, audits and global requests.
- PRs the team, the work and leads product awards.
- Being number literate, you oversee Sydney invoicing and commercial delivery.
- Charisma, energy and confidence.
- Extensive experience in media planning across offline and digital channels.
- Extensive knowledge of offline and digital media channels and tools.
- A leader with the ability to switch between managing and leading depending on the situation.
- Extensive experience in people management with an understanding of what drives retention and a success through others mentality.
- Strong ability to build relationships with key senior stakeholders – Client, client team, SBUs.
- Commercial acuteness with the ability to identify revenue driving opportunities for MediaCom.