We believe there always is a better way to grow. We positively provoke growth for our clients by reshaping consumer decision-making and experiences through media, content and technology. The Wavemaker way is globally consistent. Fueled by the world’s most powerful consumer data, we understand where and how marketing can intervene decisively to help brands win more sales.
Our name is our mission and our method. To make waves, you need to be provocative, even fearless. We do our best work for brave brands and people who want to be challenged to go further and faster. We know it’s not easy, but if it’s in you, we will get it out of you.
Our 7,600 people across 90 markets provoke growth for some of the world’s leading brands and businesses. Our attitude of Positive Provocation is enabled by:
- deep knowledge we have of our clients’ business
- confidence to challenge what’s gone before
- the support to go further than we thought possible
Your role in a nutshell:
The Search Director works closely with the Head of SEM and eCommerce to deliver success across our SEM products and services, bringing SEM discipline-based leadership and thriving in the dynamic work of campaign management. A core part of this role is the cultivation of market leading specialists through training and mentorship. Enriching our SEM solutions by ensuring we are creatively using cutting edge technologies, building long-term partnerships, providing thoughtful insights, undertaking successful optimisations and delivering best-in-market client services.
The role leads the SEM team which is responsible for hard working, compliant and compelling Search strategies.
Reporting of the role:
The role reports to the Head SEM and eCommerce
Product – 30%
- Develop and manage the your clients' businesses, taking a high level of pride in your work, delivering best-in-class client service, delivering campaign outcomes and setting the benchmark of standards for your team.
- Ownership and accountability for campaign delivery and optimisation through your team of specialists; monitoring campaign budgets across the team, supporting your team with thoughtful insights and analysis, exceeding campaign goals, delivering against core business objectives, and providing clear reporting and thoughtful insights.
- Contribute to the development of and oversee the adoption and ongoing adherence to processes and operations across the business unit.
- Continual assessment of and contribution to the development of the business unit’s best practices, and approach to optimisation strategies and campaign management.
- Work in alignment with the Performance Strategy & Product team to improve reporting standards, define processes for success, ensure escalations and issues are resolved, and look for ways to automate solutions to deliver efficiencies.
- Test new platform functionality, data capabilities and new products in collaboration with the relevant teams. In consultation with your manager, develop plans and manage the implementation of new products and services.
Business – 25%
- Use your understanding of goals and success metrics, marketing, seasonality, USP’s, product set and competitors of your client to transform this information into marketing leading digital campaigns across social, digital & programmatic
- Accountable for the delivery of the core commercial objectives of your team (including but not limited to viewability standards, delivering to publisher commitments, error rates, brand safety), and ensuring that your team are delivering successfully to these objectives.
- Support with business level reporting, revenue forecasting, and product analysis recommendations for management.
- Identify growth opportunities and stay on top of advertiser needs to feed into product development roadmap.
- Ensure campaigns are activated in market with 100% accuracy through your team.
People – 30%
- Be a senior support to the Head of SEM and eCommerce in the running of this specialist team, the development of operations, advocating best-practice, challenging the status quo and identifying opportunities to improve the way we work.
- Manage a team of SEM specialists, providing training, mentorship and development opportunities that is cultivating best in market talent. You will operate seamlessly together to deliver success for your client.
- Create and assess quarterly key performance goals for all members of your team, to ensure that each individual is enabled to be as successful as possible in their role.
- Be the expert in our technologies, engaging publishers and ad technology partners to stay on top of developments across the industry. Educate your team regarding existing and new developments across the Social & Programmatic landscape and technologies.
- Cultivate a positive team culture of fun, productivity, knowledge sharing and growth.
- Epitomise the Wavemaker vision and values and set a positive example for your peers.
- Be a leader in the agency, through your discipline and across the agency culture
Partner – 15%
- Look for new media partner opportunities, as well as identifying opportunities with our current media partners to enable the best outcomes for our clients.
- Identify and deliver opportunities to the team to increase awareness and understanding of social & programmatic solutions, share your expertise, and create excitement for upcoming products.
- Develop strong, trusted relationships with your Wavemaker and GroupM peers, clients and platform partners, advocating and effectively communicating your specialist solutions and services.
What you will need:
- 5-8 years’ experience and someone who is keen to teach, train, nurture and can work in a dynamic environment
- A passion for the media industry and a strong understanding of the search landscape
- A keen interest in driving performance of your client’s business
- A willingness to work within performance planning principles and technology platforms
- A preference to collaboration and team-based working
- Strong attention to detail
- Digital technology skills, specifically across Google and Adobe products
- Good relationships within the marketplace
Measures of success:
In three months, you would have:
- Become proficient in the client’s business, product portfolio and approach to digital media
- Built relationships internally, with media partners, with the Westpac media team and the greater digital teams within the Westpac business.
- A strong understanding of the KPIs and key deliverables within your team and be on track to deliver these
- Demonstrated a thorough understanding of Westpac and Media Lab’s compliance processes and their role in our work
- Developed a good understanding of the competitive landscape and built an opinion on how to engage that market
- A strong understanding of key technology platforms, with the ability to teach your team
- Consistently managed and delivered campaigns with the highest degree of service, strongest results and without error.
- Become a trusted advisor to your team, agency and client partners, delivered successful outcomes and as a result grown the investment across your portfolio.
- Begun training and mentoring with your team of Managers, Executives and Coordinators to develop their knowledge and capabilities.
In six months, you would have:
- Provided input into the current product roadmap, prepared an analysis of the current state of play and presented opportunities to develop our product and service offering, to deliver best in market solutions.
- Managed the implementation of required operational changes to help improve the day-to-day efficiencies and deliverables from your team, positioning your team for success.
- Worked with the Head of Digital to undertake initiatives that build relationships, share knowledge, develop client accounts and improve operations.
- Developed a strong understanding of the Westpac and Media Lab technology stacks and the impacts on campaigns
- Used available technology and data to build best-in-market campaign architecture, maximising yield from campaign delivery
- Driven efficiencies in the team through process re-engineering
- Worked independently to lead your teams in day-to-day operations
- Delivered across the baseline of “Brilliant Basics” and driving toward positive “Google Honours” result
In 12 months, you would have:
- Developed strong, mutually successful relationships with your key Media Lab stakeholders, our agency partners and clients.
- Actively managed and delivered against our revenue / growth targets.
- Supported the Media Lab management team in building out competitive and market leading Proprietary proposition, which compliments the broader Media Lab proposition we extend to our client.
- Invested in your team, offering development and learning opportunities.